Please sign in to post.

Vienna

We will be in Vienna for New Years. Does anyone have any suggestions for things to do? We are interested in possibly something with a meal and music and not too formal. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks - Bill

Posted by
527 posts

The city center is pretty wild (wild as in firecrackers going off randomly in the crowds) and crowded during this time. Many venues and stages around for music. We opted to go out to Heiligenstadt, in the wine district to Restaurant Englehardt. Fabulous food and excellent wine. At midnight we could watch the fireworks going off over Vienna and most everyone got up and waltzed to the Blue Danube, which is what they play traditionally at midnight. Here is a link with their info: http://www.nileguide.com/destination/vienna/restaurants/zur-schonen-aussicht-restaurant-engelhardt/427595
Wherever you decide to go to eat RESERVE well in advance! We were very lucky at the Engelhardt because they had a cancellation at the very last minute.

Posted by
2779 posts

New Years in Austria is the best New Years in the world: What happens is that you spend the evening e.g. at a nice restaurant over a multi-course New Years meal or in a night club... but at midnight all the bars, restaurants, TV and radio stations... all of them play the Blue Danube Waltz and everyone is dancing in the streets. That's for Vienna as well as for any small town in the mountains...

Posted by
517 posts

As was noted, 1st district is one big out-door party. It gets very rowdy. Music stages in several locations. Food and Booz stands. The closer you get to midnight, the closer it resembles a war zone with fireworks going off. Midnight... well I've never seen so many unregulated fireworks in any other town. If you have a view of the sky-line, it is amazing. That said, It is usually bitter bitter cold. With temps at or (well) below freezing. Dress warm! I strongly agree that reservations are necessary in advance for any restaurant. If you want a great view to see all the fireworks, you might try the following restaurant. Food is excellent but it is definitely a special occassion place and will be very expensive...but you gotta admit that the views are great:
http://www.skybar.at/

Posted by
3049 posts

I think the unregulated and somewhat terrifying fireworks are a staple of most Germanic large cities. I'd never seen anything like it in Stuttgart last year - but I've heard it's like that everywhere. Be prepared for it. It's great fun but you have to keep your wits about you, because there are drunken people setting off bottle rockets and god knows what not being particularly careful about how they're aiming.