Please sign in to post.

Vienna - April, 2011

arriving Vienna from Budapest via train for a weekend. Any suggestions on lodging/don't miss sights and/or off the beaten path fun things to do/see. With my wife and mid-20s daughter (who is working in Hungary).

Posted by
5678 posts

I enjoyed the tour of the Opera House. Of course it's good to hear an opera too! ; ) Decades ago as a student I got standing room tickets to see Madam Butterfly. I also enjoyed the Haus Der Musik. It's participatory. There are so many beaten path sights that you don't want to miss. For me the Kunsthistorisches Museum was great. It's got the world class art. I also enjoyed the Hofburg Treasury. It's easy to get caught up in the details. I liked visiting Schoebrunn. It was an easy to get there on the U-Bahn. We stayed at the Hotel Schweizerhof, but it was July and the rates were low. It's very convenient. Vienna is a nice walking and people watching city. I would try to find a concert to go to if I were going in season as you are. Pam

Posted by
148 posts

Pam - thank you for your thoughtful insights. I especially like the idea of taking an opera or concert. I believe that Seji Osawa (Boston's former Orchestra conductor) hold sthe position at the opera house. Thanks, again - Don

Posted by
22 posts

I spent 6 months living in Vienna and visiting at least one of the Viennese cafes is an experience not to be missed. Cafe Central, Cafe Landtmann, Cafe Demel, Cafe Sperl are all beautiful. My favorite is Cafe Dommayer which is NOT frequented by tourists and is very near the Schoenbrunn Palace, which I also highly recommend. The opera house is amazing and I would also highly recommend a classical music concert at the Musikverein (Music Hall). The Belvedere Palace has the best collection of Gustav Klimt paintings in the world, and I also really liked the Secession house if you are interested in Jugendstil art. Be sure to take a walk around the Ringstrasse and visit the Hofburg Palace, Rathaus (town hall), St. Stephen's Dom. I'm not sure what there hours are in April, but in the summer I remember going to the most amazing little wine taverns (called Heuriger) on the outskirts of Vienna. It's a very easy ride on the street car and it's another quintessential Austrian experience to have your white whine "gespritzt" (with mineral water) at an authentic Heuriger. The most amazing gelato in the city is at a place called Zanoni and Zanoni right by St. Stephen's Dom. Vienna is a beautiful city and you can't go wrong, no matter what you choose to see!

Posted by
212 posts

We were there for four great days, and did all the things mentioned above. One other thing we found worth the tram ride just outside the city: the old cemetery. In particular there: the Musicians' section, with all the greats in one tiny area! We also were awed by the Jewish section, and many stones still on their sides, riddled by bullets. That section is very old and large, giving you a better sense than you get in the city today of how large and important and great the Jewish Vienna once was.

Posted by
14 posts

Hi, Don, My guests really enjoy the following walk. It has several don't-miss sights on the route: Stephansdom (see cathedral) to Graben, see Peterskirche and the Monument to the Plague victims, turn left at Kohlmarkt, stop in Demel Bakery, walk through the Hofburg Palace (perhaps visiting the Treasury or Sisi exhibit). Straight ahead is the Kunsthistoriche Museum and the Natural History Museum (my favorite). Turn right, walk along the Ringstrasse past the Parliament and the Burg Theater to the Rathaus. Coffee across the street at Cafe Landtmann. For more off-beat sights, Hundertwasser Haus and the nearby Walking Chair Design Studio at Marxergasse and Rasumofskygasse; Hitler's flak towers in Arenburg Park; the Naschmarkt and it's flea market (Saturdays); St. Marx's Cemetery and Mozart's burial site in a mass grave; the Gasometer complex of shops and apartments in old gas storage tanks; rent a boat at the Alte Donau or take a walk at the long Donau Insel island. Be sure to check what festivals or free events will be happening during your visit. As for lodging, a friend of ours often stays at Aldano Serviced Apartments Apostelgasse 33 Vienna 1030   Apt. 105 +43 1 238 0205 +43 650 473-3979 (cell).
He says it is quite nice, near a subway stop (U-3 line, convenient to the Inner City), and a very good value. For more information, I invite you to check out my blog on Vienna at http://marthasvienna.blogspot.com/. Have a great time.

Posted by
212 posts

One other off-beaten-track thing to consider: the Freud House and Museum. He had to leave Vienna and his life's work (you see a recreation of his waiting room and his office, with actual furnishings and his collection) because of the Nazis, and died just a year or so later in London.

Posted by
1548 posts

Consider going to the Ronacher Theatre for Tanz der Vampire : Das Musical. It is fabulous. The talent, the sets, the costumes, everything was far superior to any musical theatre I have seen in Toronto. Lest you think it is for the younger set with the current vampire craze, we are in our 40s and saw plenty of people our age and older in the audience. You can see some video on Youtube and also some of the ticket selling websites. Yes it is in German but because its a musical it is fairly easy to follow along. You just miss a few jokes. The Ronacher is a short stroll from Graben. We had dinner at the Ronacher Cafe across the street and it was also terrific. Prices lower than those places closer to Graben, friendly service and lots of Austrians all around you. They get a pre-theatre crowd so if you decide to go you would want to arrive in good time. We got our tickets on the day from the booth outside the Opera.

Posted by
40 posts

I echo the places already stated. If you like sweets, chocolate inparticular, I would encourage you to seek our Demels for lunch. It was the official bakery of the emperor. It's very entertaining as well watching the bakers work in a glassed in room.