Please sign in to post.

Versailles Giverny

Has anyone taken the day trip from Paris to both Versailles and
Giverny? Is it too much for one day? Thanks, Jennie

Posted by
10227 posts

I agree with Ken, it's too much. There are not located near each other. Even trying to do it by car would be too much in my opinion. If you don't have 2 different days to do day trips you'll need to pick one or the other.

Posted by
32212 posts

jennie, YES, (IMHO) that would be too much for one day. Between the Chateau and gardens at Versailles, you could easily spend half a day or more if it's crowded (not including transportation time). You'll probably find that you'll be exhausted after wandering around Versailles for several hours, so won't have the energy to continue on to Giverny. It might be feasible, but there's no way I'd try it. Happy travels!

Posted by
55 posts

Jennie, My husband and I will be in Paris for only 7 days and both Giverny and Versailles are on my list but I have so many things in the city that I have not seen, have only one day to get to them both. A travel agent friend recommended a small group, driver-guided minibus tour to see both in one 9-hour day. So we booked it. Our Paris vacation begins next weekend! Our day tour is scheduled for Tuesday, September 3. I'll let you know if it was the right decision!

Posted by
4535 posts

Jennie - Are you referring to taking a guided tour group of both? If so, it certainly can be done and you won't have to worry about transportation. But it will be a long day and you won't be able to linger at either place. Versailles especially is a place worth lingering and exploring. But not everyone has the time for that, so do what you need to. I don't recommend trying to do both on your own.

Posted by
7036 posts

It sounds exhausting but if it's the only way you can do both, go for it - I would. I'm assuming the tour goes to Versailles first, probably when it opens or shortly thereafter to avoid the mid-day crowds and being on a tour you won't have to wait in line to get into the palace. After the palace they will probably give you some time in the garden and maybe time for lunch on the grounds, then go to Giverny in the pm. Again no waiting to get in because you're with the tour so that's a good thing. On a small group tour it's definitely doable and it will be a wonderful day allbeit a bit tiring.

Posted by
262 posts

Why would anyone want to rush through these two beautiful places that deserve a
whole day? Assume that you will return some day, as Rick says. Happy Travels!

Posted by
262 posts

Why would anyone want to rush through these two beautiful places that deserve a
whole day? Assume that you will return some day, as Rick says. Happy Travels!