Please sign in to post.

Versailles

We will be picking up our car in Versailles at 11am and will be coming from Paris. As time is short and we'll head to Normandy, then Loire, could we just do a quick 2hrs. at Versailles? If so, is there somewhere that we could leave our luggage while we tour?
Thanks for all the other helps.

Posted by
9110 posts

Two hours might be hard, depending on the line. Even if you go straight in, you'll have to hustle along.

Leave the stuff in the car. It'll be fine.

Posted by
4 posts

We won't have the car yet, there in lies the problem. Might they let us leave "stuff" at the rental place?? Also, will have the Museum Pass, so won't worry about not getting our $$ worth, plus more castles in Loire.

Posted by
4555 posts

There's a place to leave luggage at the entrance to Versailles.

Posted by
719 posts

You don't say which day of the week that you're going, but 2 hrs is tight even on a slow day. You can rush through the chateau (sounds like you'll be there 1st thing), and the pass will help with the line (you'll still need to go through security). This doesn't leave you with much (or any, really) time for the gardens, and trianons don't open until after you leave. This is unfortunate, since those are the highlight of the estate, in my opinion. You can get an overview of the palace, however.

Posted by
4132 posts

Is it too late for you to change your plans? Because it sounds as though you are really heading to Normandy, and would be better off taking the train and picking up your car there.

We once returned a rental car in Versailles (okay not the exact same thing) to avoid driving close to Paris and encountered some very bad traffic, so it wasn't the best decision for us. Also in our case the rental office was not very close to either the RER or the palace.

I don't know where you are going to Normandy but you could arrange to get your car in Caen or Bayeux or Rouen (very much worth a few hours) or Lille.

Posted by
4 posts

The day will be a Thurs., plan is to head to Giverny from Versailles, thus car might be the best. Sleep in Bayeaux that eve, so will need to keep moving. Does this sound possible?? And then only one day WWII, on to the Mont. Will get to see gardens, etc. thru Loire, so may get enough castles/gardens???

Posted by
31 posts

Mary,
I just came back from a 3 week tour of France. Versailles and Normandy were my favorite places. We spent the entire day at Versailles. Maire Antoinettes Hamlet was amazing. I agree that two hours wouldn't be enough time just for the chateau if it is crowded.
We did a drive by of Giverny on our way to Normandy where we stayed 4 nights.

Posted by
4132 posts

Mary, can you arrange to get your car in Vernon? (Vernon is the train station for Giverney.) It would save you a lot of bother.

Posted by
71 posts

Since you're short on time and have other palaces planned, how about just doing the gardens and Marie Antoinette's house at Versailles? No lines and you can easily control how much time you spend.

Posted by
4 posts

Elaine, That sounds like a winner. Those sound like they might be the favorite places, anyway. Thanks for all of the great hints.

Posted by
719 posts

I may agree with Claire. If you are truly locked into the 2 hour frame, I would personally see the gardens/trianons and skip the chateau. check the timing though, to make sure that they will be open when you get there. The gardens are free (unless it's a fountain weekend), and l'hameau was my favorite part of the estate. Have fun!

Posted by
103 posts

We did Versailles last year, and it was hot and crowded....we went out to Marie Antoinette's hamlet, and it was empty! We loved it .....it was much nicer than Versailles itself...and the gardens on the way were amazing. The other "chateaux?" on the grounds were not crowded at all.

Posted by
6 posts

I agree with the other posters who say 2 hours would really be pushing it. We were there last September and even though we had followed numerous recommendations to get our tickets ahead of time to avoid the ticket line we were still in line for nearly 45 minutes just getting in through the gate!