Please sign in to post.

Versailles?

Just a quick question, would like to visit Versailles during our somewhat limited time. Is this a realistic 1/2 day if we start early or do we need full day for this trip? We are traveling in March, so I believe the hours are a little shorter? Thanks for your advice!

Posted by
4844 posts

It really needs a full day. You can do it on your own using the train system and save a bunch compared to taking a tour from Paris. Hope this helps. TC

Posted by
45 posts

Thanks for the reply, my dillema:
We will be at Versailles at open (9 am) looking at touring Rolland Garros at 3 pm is this feasible?

Posted by
2030 posts

I think it is probably doable if you just stick to touring the chateau, and not include the grounds. Or alternatively just tour the grounds, including the Queen's Hamlet and trianons. Everything is wonderful, but I don't think you can reasonably see it all in your timeframe.

Posted by
635 posts

My wife and I were there about 9:30. We walked through the public rooms, did a tour of rooms closed except for tours, had lunch, walked the grounds and toured the smaller houses. We were back in Paris around 3:30. I would definitely suggest you go to Versailles even if you can only spare 3 hours. Catch the RER and be there safely before 9. Have a Paris Museum Pass so you can skip any lines. Sign up for a tour and self-tour the public rooms until your tour is ready to leave. After that, I would use the remaining time to first see the "back yard" and fountains. The smaller estates would be what I would drop if time is short.

Posted by
4535 posts

I agree with Ken - it is certainly feasible but you will have to pick and choose what you want to see. Arrive at opening. And don't forget to factor in travel time - about a 30+ minute RER ride, plus walking time on either end. From the far end of the gardens, it could be a 45 minute walk back to the Versailles RER station depending on how fast you walk. You might also plan to bring a picnic lunch if the weather is nice. You can eat it in the gardens and saves the lost time walking back into town for lunch.

Posted by
9420 posts

There are several places to get lunch in the gardens, so you don't have to bring lunch with you unless you want to. There's also a motorized "train" and a horse drawn wagon that can bring you back up to the chateau from the gardens, you don't have to walk back. You can also rent a golf cart or bicycles to tour the grounds which would save you a lot of time. We always rent bikes, it's very enjoyable. Ken suggested dropping the smaller estates (I assume he means the Grand Trianon, the Petit Trianon and the Hamlet) those are my favorite places, and would be a shame to miss. I love all of Versailles and hope you can do it.

Posted by
45 posts

Thank you everyone! I did look at the bike option or train option as I thought that would save the walking time! It is so wonderful to have you all that have been there to give relistic advice!! Thanks again!

Posted by
3941 posts

Glad I saw this thread- hubby and I are revisiting Paris for 2 days this year so I can do the things we missed the first time(had 3 days in 2010) and wanted to go to Versailles, but I was starting to get a little worried that we'd need a whole day - I think we would just view the main chateau and tour some of the gardens - glad to see about the bike rentals - will mark that down and look into it...

Posted by
56 posts

Something else to consider, there is a bus that drops you off at the entrance, a city/metro bus. We caught it at the end of #9 metro, bus number 171. It was really smooth, nice ride about 30 minutes. You can go to parisbymetro.com and then drill down into an article that talks about going to Versailles by bus. Departing was a snap too since the bus stop is again right across the street. The bike rental kiosk in on the grounds of the chateau. We did it last year and was fun, kinda expensive but this is no place to get anxious over a few extra euros. Paris Museum Pass is a big help as someone else mentioned. One other kinda cool option is to take the Versailles tour from Fat Tire Bikes. That was an all day affair but a lot of fun. Did that one on our first visit. If your schedule would allow for a day this is what I recommend.
Good luck and have fun.

Posted by
1010 posts

My husband and I took a half day tour through Gray Line Tours. You can book them on line through Gray Line Tours.com

Posted by
719 posts

You should definitely go, even for a half day. Versailles is the Palace of Palaces in Europe, so it should not be missed. The Chateau is great (the hall of mirrors is Magnificent), and you really do have to see it. The Grounds, however, are my favorite part. Paddleboat the Grand Canal, Bike through the hedgerows, picnic outside of the Domaine de Marie Antoinette (my absolute favorite part of a visit to Versailles), tour the Trianons... My last trip to France, I actually spent 2 days in Versailles, 3 weeks apart, we loved it that much. Load up on Picnic supplies at a local market before leaving Paris, and you'll be set for a great day. Pick your best weather day, though, as March can be quite chilly.