Please sign in to post.

Venice to Munich

Is this the route?? Venice to Bolzano, Bolzano to Val Gardena, Val Gardena to Fussen and then Munich. I'm trying to take the most scenic route?

Posted by
813 posts

The direct train runs from Venice, through Bolzano, Innsbruck, then Munich. If you go to the mountains to Val Gardena, and/or Fussen, you'll inevitably change trains a few times along the way. You don't say if you plan on stopping for long between Venice and Munich, but there's probably no way you could take trains from Venice, to stop in both ValGar and Fussen then to Munich in one day. Yes, It's very scenic.

Posted by
32219 posts

Jo, The method I would use (and have used) from Venice to Munich is the Brennero/Kufstein route. It travels through the Brenner Pass, which I find "scenic" and that's a trip I always enjoy (despite the fact that we have similar scenery here in B.C.). For example, there's a train departing Venezia Santa Lucia at 08:58, arriving Munich HBf at 16:25 (time 7H:27M, one change in Verona with a "layover" of 56M, reservations compulsory on one leg). I believe that train does stop in Bolzano for a few minutes. That will get you to Munich at a good time to check-in to the Hotel and then go for a fine hot meal and a "beverage". Happy travels!

Posted by
32847 posts

By car? Venice>Verona>Innsbruck>Munich. Direct, easy, scenic, reasonably fast.

Posted by
19102 posts

I think the connection from Bolzano to Val Gardena is by bus and you might be better off to come back to Bolzano to continue to Fuessen. From Bolzano go to Innsbruck and then take the train over the pass to Garmisch-Partenkirchen. There is no direct rail connection from Garmisch to Fuessen, you can go by bus from Garmisch to Fuessen via Oberammergau, or by train to Reutte or Pfronten and from there by bus.

Posted by
2911 posts

Hi, You can take the train from Bolzano to Ponte Gardena/Waidbruck. From there you need to take a bus 15 minutes into the Val Gardena. Paul

Posted by
16369 posts

I hope you are taking several days (at least 2) to do this. Bolzano to Val Gardena is indeed a bus. The buses are very nice and the service very reliable. We have used them on several trips. The bus depot is right next to the Bolzano train station. If you really want the scenery, do not return to Bolzano from Val Gardena. Instead, take the bus over Gardena Pass to the next valley, Val Badia. Spend the night in a small village like Colfosco or Corvara in alta Badia, with wonderful views of the Dolomites right from your balcony. From Corvara or Colfosco, take the bus north through the valley to the town of Brunico, where you can pick up a train to Munich (one change on the way). Or you can take the bus to Brixen (Bressanone) and pick up a direct train to Munich there. Bolzano to Munich is just under 4 hours; Brunico to Munich about the same; Brixen to Munich is 3 hours 20 minutes.

Posted by
247 posts

Thanks everyone for putting this trip into perspective. We do have time since we're leaving Venice on June 13 and flying out of Munich on the 20. The more I dig the more places I find that shouldn't be missed. Of course we can't see them all. Good thing I have time to plan. I just don't want to make it too difficult. It might be skip Val Gardena and Fussen and go from Innsbruck to Mittenwald. Italy is my first love, my husband's into German food, that's how this started. Now with more research, the more drawen to Beautiful Germany I become.