Please sign in to post.

Valencia

We will be in Valencia for 2 nights. Can I get some suggestions (based on your personal experience) regarding hotels/hostals (that are within a 5 to 10 min walk from the train station) and things to do (other than a visit to the Central Market). Thanks
Roger

Posted by
101 posts

We stayed at the Vinnci Lys in Valencia in September last year the location was perfect for the Metro and train Station (depending on which Train Station you will be arriving at) Either way the location meant just a couple of minutes walk from both the metro and Station to the Hotel. The Breakfast was among the best we had experienced. We used our Ho Ho bus to get around, but walked a lot too as most attractions were well within walking distance.

Posted by
19 posts

I can't speak to hotels near the train station. But Valencia has a wonderful beach area. The Aquarium, Science Center area (Cuidad de las Artes Y Ciencias) has lots to do and see. The buildings are wonderful, even if you don't go in. They also do tours of the Bullfight arena, if this interests you.

Posted by
101 posts

Re: Suggestions I should add to previous posting. We went to the City of Arts and Sciences. This is an absolute must, a sight to behold... The architecture is amazing.. This would include the architecture of the whole complex which includes Palau de les Arts Reina Sofia some great photo ops here :) . I would NOT waste any time looking at the exhibits, they seemed as if they just needed to fill the place for the sake of it. A walk around the facility is absolutely top of the list along with L'Oceanogràfic. I enjoyed the going around here and thought the money well spent. , We did a guided walking tour which we found quite good, I think we got the info from the visitor info centre. DO NOT waste your time and line up at a little kiosk which seemed to be where most people were the main info centre is en route towards Valencia Cathedral and the place was empty. A trip to the top of the tower will give you some great views. , We walked back into town along the 'garden riverbed' (our 3 day pass for the ho ho bus ticket had expired) if time is important another way would be to get on the trolley car train that goes through the park from a pick up point in the City of Arts and Sciences. ..
The market was nice but after you've been to La Boqueria in Barcelona I doubt if anything would come close. It's definitely an very attractive market though and is near some good sightseeing. Happy Travels..

Posted by
21 posts

Elizabeth and Teresa: Thanks for the information. I located a hotel thru TripAdvisor that hopefully will meet our needs. Teresa, can I get the contact information for the walking tour? And, what is the Ho Ho bus ticket? Also, any recommendations regarding food (both what to try and where to go)? I understand rice and seafood are both specialities.
Roger

Posted by
101 posts

Roger, It's the Hop on Hop off bus, They are usually open top double decker buses that drive around stopping at most of the popular sightseeing points of interest so you can get off/on.Pplug in the plastic headset you are given to the back of your seat & your language preference. It's great for an overview as well as some history. In Valencia's case I think it's called 'Valencia Bus Turistic' .. Again, the valencia oceanographic & City of arts of & sciences as well as the Opera house are a photographers dream. .. Can't help you with restaurants, we tended to eat later at night in different Tapa's bars that weren't the 'touristy ones' Met some great locals that told us about a restaurant well out of the City at least a 75 min drive it was en-route to our next destination on the Costa Blanca. Valencians go there at weekends as a family meetng place we had the best Anchovies as well as Paella.. (not somewhere you would really do on a limited 2 day visit). .. I 'think' I booked the walking tour while we were at the tourist info office, it's a bit of a blur as we were in Spain for 5 weeks. Some destinations I pre-booked. We always include a local walking tour. .. I would check out TA for restaurant reco's. As for the walking tour I've lost all my trip info so can't find any record. . While looking for my info I discovered these websites I had bookmarked. .. http://www.valencia-tourist-guide.com/en/restaurants/tapas-valencia.html .. http://www.valencia-tourist-guide.com/en/tours/valencia-tourist-bus.html ..
http://www.valenciavalencia.com/restaurant-guide/eating-in-valencia.htm

Posted by
21 posts

Teresa: A belated thanks for the information. Most helpful.
Roger