Please sign in to post.

Tulips in Holland

Has anyone been to Keukenhof this year (2012)? Are the tulips likely to be in full bloom (both in the fields and at Keukenhof Gardens) by the weekend of April 21-23?

Posted by
2138 posts

Don, We just returned from Holland Tuesday night. The tulips are blooming beautifully right NOW at Keukenhof, as are the daffodils, hyacinths, etc. etc. etc. The only flower that was finished is crocus. But, the good news is they plant tulips about five bulbs stacked at various depths, so lots of new buds (still green) are visible under the blooming ones. They will still be oh so lovely for your trip. If you arrive at Keukenhof right when it opens in the morning, make a mad dash for the windmill (before it gets too crowded), which you can climb for a wonderful view of the tulip fields. Also afterward cross the street from the entrance of Kuekenhof and wander around in those tulip fields for extra shots. I'd seen photos of Keukenhof and knew it would be wonderful, but it was so much more wonderful that I could ever imagine...an absolutely perfect garden. Plan to spend an entire day there. We were on a group tour (Tauck river cruise) and only had a half day there.....I would have loved more time. Don't miss the big Aalsmeer flower auction while in Holland....opens for tourist viewing at 7:00 a.m. on business days. It is fascinating and quite colorful. Pack a warm jacket, hood, and take an umbrella. It's chilly there!!

Posted by
53 posts

We were there last Friday. Many, many beds in the gardens were already blooming, and many, many more were just getting ready to bloom. It should be lovely this weekend. And the Flower Parade is on Saturday the 21st.