Please sign in to post.

Trying for more info: Dusseldorf, 7 hours, 4 kids...

We are arriving after an overnight flight. Kids are 2, 5, 7, 10. We have a 7-hour layover. I want to do something "charming" as this will be their intro to Europe. I am not getting a feeling for what to do from googling Dusseldorf. I had a couple of suggestions from my previous post but am still not sure of a plan.

Can someone help? We arrive at 11:00AM. Can we zip right in? How much will tickets cost? We should probablhy walk after being cooped up. Is there an old part of town that would be a charming walk? Maybe traditional and not touristy shops. Some historic buildings/churches. We will need lunch as well.

Someone mentioned Cologne, which looks great, but I am afraid it will get complicated.

I have never travelled in Germany before and am unfamiliar with the surroundings and logistics.

I definitely do not want to miss the flight to Paris.

I can't find anything on the web that is "Dusseldorf with Kids" so I am turning to you.

Many thanks and sorry for the double post.

Posted by
151 posts

You must be flying LTU going to Dusseldorf! We are going there this summer as my son and I have e-mail pals in Duisburg, 20 min from Dusseldorf. Anyway, she sent me a book called "Tour The Ruhr". The area is a very large industrial area, however, they have been able to incorporate all kinds of fun activities into these areas. In this book are some family amusement parks..in Bottrop is Schloss Beck Leisure park. There is also Warner Bros. Movie World, zoos,and water parks. There is a place called Ketteler Hof Leisure Park and they have slides, climbing frames, crazy golf, a fairy tale wood, western fort with train ride as well as pony rides. The website is www.ketteler-hof.de/flash.html. I don't know the area or how far all of this is from Dusseldorf, but all of these things are in the "Ruhr" area. I do know that Germany is very transportation friendly and far exceeds US, particularly in FL. Good luck.

Posted by
12172 posts

One of the topics on this site talked about and linked to pictures of a great castle in the area of Dusseldorf. Hopefully someone can recall the discussion and pull it up for you.

Koln is great but your kids might really enjoy the castle.

Posted by
12172 posts

I looked at some tourist information for Dusseldorf. There are a number of palaces in the area. I think the one we talked about was Schloss Benrath.