Please sign in to post.

Traveling to Spain at the end of October 2008

I am going to Spain, Costa Del Sol, for 3 weeks at the end of October. What will the weather be like, and where are some great places to see! Are there any fashion "no,no's" in Spain to worry about?? This is my 1st trip to Spain.

Posted by
2779 posts

Compare weather to Southern California at the end of October!

Posted by
240 posts

Thank you for the information. What do you think will be the style for woman along this area of Spain? Can I wear jeans? And if so, what is the latest style in Europe. I don't want to look completely out of place!

Posted by
10 posts

Just got back from Barcelona, Valencia and Cadaques. I can tell you they wear all types of Nikes, Adias,Skechers, you name it, and in white too! So those of you saying white is a no-no are wrong. They have Foot Locker over there so same stuff like here in US. For women it's a situation also just like in the states. Too many gals in clothes way too small but still flaunting their stuff. Capris, jeans, nifty little tees and just about anything else are all worn. My motto was it has to be comfortable so I wasn't worried about offending a bunch of loud, pushy strangers (mostly other tourists) totally oblivious to me anyway! Wear whatever! Barcelona has so much to offer, it's a great city to see. Don't know what you are interested in and if you are only going to Costa Del Sol area. Was in Nerja, Granada, Ronda several years ago. Nerja is very pretty town right on the water. Stayed at the Parador(e?) located with a great view of beach and sea. Granada is also a must for the Alhambra to see.

Posted by
240 posts

Great information! Yes, I will be spending most of my time in Andalucia. Are there any cities that are NOT worth it? How about the food? I don't eat fish..any other "good" options? We are staying at a timeshare...will there be any thing I need to bring that is not available in Spain?

Posted by
1455 posts

Jackie, I was in Barcelona and Madrid in March, and found it to be just like any mid size/ big city. As Jacquelyn posted, its like here. Teens will be teens, and people are people everywhere.

I dressed like I normally would, and in layers since March was still very cool. I noticed that people liked wearing scarves. Being from So Cal I never wear one, so it was a new thing for me.

Well, If you feel uncomfortable with your attire, you can also go shopping. Any excuse to visit their department stores is a good excuse, no? LOL

Posted by
240 posts

thank you for all the information. I am really looking forward to my trip. I know I will be shopping!!

If anyone has suggestions as to the best shopping on Costa Del Sol...let me know!

Posted by
30 posts

I spent 6 weeks studying in Sevilla in the summer of 2005, and I noticed that the women there seem to dress up a little more than American women - more skirts, fewer shorts, and no flip-flops (although since you're going in October, shorts and flip-flops probably won't be an issue). Jeans were fine. I'm not sure how that will translate to fall attire, since I was there during one of the hottest summers in a long time, but that was my experience. I hope it helps you some :)

Sevilla was a great city to be in, and well worth a visit if you're spending time in Andalucia. The architecture is beautiful, the people are really friendly, and there's a lot to do. If you stay near the city center, everything is pretty walkable as well. I took some day/weekend trips to Granada and Cordoba when I was there, which was a lot of fun. Granada especially is beautiful, although if you want to visit the Alhambra, I think you have to make reservations in advance. Anyway, I really enjoyed the time I spent in Andalucia - hope you will too!

Posted by
31 posts

I just went to Spain in February, and yes, make a reservation for the Alhambra- and plan on spending a lot of time there! I thought it was just a building, so I only gave myself about 2 hours, but with the time it takes to get there, plus the extensive and absolutely goergeous gardens, I felt rushed. As for food, definately go for the tapas! I went on a "tapas tour" through the hostel I stayed at, but you dont have to do it in such a formal way- just hop from one bar to the next, buying a tapas at each, and after about 3 you've had dinner.

Posted by
18 posts

We just got back from almost 3 weeks in Spain. Nerja was the highlight of the "laid-back" part of the trip. We stayed at Hostel Don Pique out of Rick's book. Well located, priced right and great hosts. (Better if you speak French...Carla and her hubby are from Lyon.) Had breakfast on their roof overlooking the Med and the town. Roof patio is also a great spot to bring wine and whatever to watch the sunset as an alternate to the Balcony of Europe...you need to do that also. We had a little trouble finding the Hostel but it was worth it. Parking is in the town garage but you get a discount to 12 euros.

Nerja is sized right and well located for side trips. We drove in from Seville/Cordoba and by-passed the concrete jungles in Malaga....not our style. An amazing amount of building is going on in Spain...seems like every town has a crane or 2.

We were also on Costa Brava for different reasons and enjoyed it as a side trip from Barcelona.

Posted by
10 posts

Ronda is a very historic, interesting city. We found a place to go horseback riding down into the gorge looking back up at the bridges separating the old and new parts of Ronda, really scenic. They also have a bullfighting arena(which I hate but found interesting) with a museum containing famous bull's heads and matador outfits complete with bloody holes from being gored. Ronda and Granada had tons of little shops filled with ceramics of all kinds. If you want platters, bowls or pitchers that's the place to shop.
Spain is world famous for their ham, there is never a shortage of ham sandwiches anywhere. There are all types of food to be found, pasta,pizza,kabob stands, roasted birds of all types, (especially in the fall). I was there in late Sept. and there was rain and some chilly nights but sunny days too. The weather is very similar to fall in the Midwest. We did a stop for lunch touring thru the Pueblos Blancas, the White hill towns. Very pretty, especially as you approach them.

Posted by
9 posts

Wife and I were in Andalucia in Mar 08. 3 Days and change in Granada then rented a car and drove down the costa del sol to Gibralter and then headed up to and around the arcos/grazalema area for 4 days. We
dropped the car off at Sevilla and hung around ther for another 3 days or so. I concur with the threads above and would only add that if you can rent a car or take a bus or whatever, and get to Granada, Sevilla, Rhonda and/or drive around the white hill towns you will probably be very glad you did. Sevilla and Granada are a little farther away, but the white hill towns, grazalema national park and Rhonda are very close to the costa del sol. Renting a car is not hard to do and once you leave the costa del sol area the traffic thins out and the driving is easy. Just be on your toes if you drive into a large city or the tighter streets in the hill towns.

Posted by
9 posts

We lived in Rota, Spain (andalusia) for over 3 years (near Cadiz). the Costa Del Sol is very touristy and built up and not as interesting nor as fascinitating as Andalucia. The Alhambra is great, but please make sure you visit Sevilla, the white towns (Ronda), etc. A car for travel is essential. Western Spain is very rural. Lynn