Please sign in to post.

Travel Insurance

Can anyone recommend a good company to get travel insurance from. This will be for a two week European trip.
Thanks - Bill

Posted by
23282 posts

Use insuremytrip.com for a comparison of policies. Also, make sure you understand the terms for travel insurance. Most experienced traveler do not view trip cancellation insurance as necessary since it is expensive for what is covered. However, a good medical insurance probably is a good idea. In the event of an accident or something that could cause a medical emergency and/or evac, it is nice to have. The risk is low and the premium is low. Check your own medical insurance for what is covered or not cover by your personal policy. You might find the discussion on the same subject under General Europe useful. See - http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm/rurl/topic/75726/travel-and-medical-insurance.html Edit -- left the "p" off.

Posted by
7324 posts

Although the first reply is better, I will tell you that I use Travelex "Basic" or "Select". I often don't buy Cancellation Insurance, but because of our parents' ages, I do so when I have to put down a big amount 6 months in advance. Remember that most insurance is "sold, not bought." Determine what your risks are, and buy something that serves those risks, not some generalized unease about traveling. Example: Like Cancer Insurance (or other specific diseases, for example), Flight Insurance is often a poor investment. It often comes "free" with a credit-card ticket purchase, anyway. Don't buy it twice.

Posted by
2193 posts

I've purchased Travelex Basic before...good basic plan that covers a lot of what you might need. I just purchased a Classic plan through Access America for a winter trip, however, because it specifically had better coverage for change fees, delays, and missed connections. The cost was just a few dollars more than Travelex Basic. There are other companies to consider – start at insuremytrip.com like Frank said and go from there. Just make sure the company selected has plans underwritten by major insurers with high ratings (Nationwide, Allianz, etc.). Also, make sure you read the contract/certificate of insurance before purchasing so you'll understand all of the restrictions. Cancel for any reason, for example, doesn't really mean you can cancel for any reason at any time for a 100% reimbursement of covered expenses. If the insurer doesn't have their contract online, just call and ask them to e-mail a copy for your review. Even after you buy, you can cancel your policy within 10 days and get a full refund. BTW, reviews of the different companies are all over the board. I found the biggest issue people have with a particular insurer is that the policy holder didn't really have a good understanding of what's covered. They then have an issue and file a claim for something not covered. It gets denied. Then, they get pissed and write a bad review. If you know your contract well, you won't have any issues when making a claim. Good luck!

Posted by
1175 posts

Frank means insuremytrip.com. We've used them before and on all of our overseas trips have never had occasion to use it. Since we are approaching 70 we are looking into medical evacuation policies since one calamity in say, the Turkish hinterlands and you are looking at nearly six figures. We still hunt the rugged highlands in a number of countries or dangerous game in Africa, where a fall or a contrary pack horse, or a careless moment in the bush can cause major injuries. Depending on your age and risk factors, getting the medical evacuation might be wise.

Posted by
2788 posts

As others have already posted: go to insuremytrip.com and do some comparison shopping and research. We have used Travel Guard the last two years after hearing them mentioned at one of RS educational seminars.

Posted by
7324 posts

Putting Bill and George's replies together, I want to add that you should read just what the rules for Medical Evacuation are. Depending on the company and how much you pay, there's a line from companies where (I'm approximating) a staff member at the insurance company decides whether your injury warrants evacuation, through those where "any hospitalization" or any medical doctor's recommendation justifies the payment of a claim. There's also whether a companion's transportation is paid, and whether you're flown to the closest US hospital, or to the hospital of your choice. If you don't bother to read it, you may be disappointed with the contract you signed.