Please sign in to post.

Travel Insurance

Hello - My neighbors left for Europe last week and their luaggage was lost - it took them a week to get it back. I would like opinions on travel indsurance - what kind - who do you recommend, etc. I'm a bit worried about losing my luggage. Thanks for your help.

Posted by
525 posts

Carry on your bag and you won't loose it. We only do carry on bags. IF you need to or want to check it coming home, carry your valuables/souvenirs with you then check the bag with your clothes. Travel LIGHT! We carry medical and cancellation insurance only, not luggage since we carry it on.

Posted by
864 posts

I always use Travel Guard. All this stuff about traveling with just carry on is great (and I went around the world for 6 weeks that way) but it isn't always practical. I ALWAYS take as carry on my meds, two changes of cloths (3 of underwear), and my good walking shoes (I wear comfortable leather mules onto the plane etc.) Additionally I always plan at least a two night layover for my first stop in Europe (allows luggage to catch up with you). If that is not practical I very clearly mark my luggage ITINERARY INSIDE. I note B&B names and phone numbers and at the top of the page in bold is my international cell. I've never had any lost, i.e. delayed, luggage except with British Airways in 10 years. Back to the two night layover...you're toast the first night anyway and how can you not enjoy a full day in a new city the next day?

Posted by
9369 posts

AT www.insuremytrip.com you can compare many different types/companies to find just the coverage you want without paying for something you don't need.

Posted by
19 posts

Thanks for the info - I like the idea of packing for a couple of days - I am always a mess when I first arrive and am too tired and grumpy to deal with lost luggage - I just want to get to the hotel. Insurance sounds like a viable option as well.

Posted by
427 posts

medical only. insurance for lost luggage will never cover the cost of your items.

Posted by
1568 posts

As I have stated several times on here....I would never ever travel overseas without travel insurance that covers medical evacuation, return of remains and all the other coverage. I have used Travel Mate on my lastest to Israel and World Nomads on an 8 week trip. The highest I paid was $139.00.

Posted by
525 posts

The rate you pay for insurance depends on your age also. We are in our 60's and our insurance was about $250.00. The older you are the more expensive the fee is. I fell twice while on our vacation in England/Wales and hurt my wrist but thankfully I did not have to go to hospital for treatment. I just sucked it up and kept walking but I had the insurance had I broken anything when I fell.

Posted by
1568 posts

I am 67 and only paid $139 for the full coverage for my trip to Israel last November.

I may add that on the 1st day of the tour one of the ladies died of a heart attack. Trip Mate paid for full reimbursement of the tour for her and her husband. Paid for preparation and cost of shipping the body home. Paid for the airline tickets for the husband and son back to the US.

Well worth the $139. The lady was also in her late 60's.

Posted by
1568 posts

Forgot to mention this:

I was to share a double room with someone I did not know during my 14 day tour of Israel last November. My room mate was injured 3 weeks before the start of the tour...because I had the Travel Insurance it paid for a double room for me which would have cost me $730.

Posted by
9369 posts

I'm surprised they would have charged you. Most tours that I know of give you a single room at the double occupancy price if they can't match you up with a roommate.

Posted by
5678 posts

I think of travel insurance as peace of mind. I do have to check my baggage as I often have walking sticks and they have to be checked. I've also been told to check my tripod. So, when I get the insurance, I get the cancellation, the evacuation, the medical and the lost luggage. That way I don't have any worries, or at least ones associated with getting sick, or losing my luggage.

Also, BTW as someone pointed out, the amount of money you get back for lost luggage when you travel internationally is even worse than the domestic requirement.