Please sign in to post.

Travel in Switzerland

In order to get to the top of Schilthorn I need to ride train and lifts. Is it kind of scary to ride a lift?
Thanks,
Greg

Posted by
2788 posts

I am scared enough of heights that I have never been on the roof of either house I have owned. Don't do tall ladders either. However, I took that tram ride to the top. I faced the mountain and looked at the floor of the tram to get there for a beautiful view. Did the same at the Eiffel Tower. Both times it was worth it. In fact, I did the Eiffel Tower again this May. Good Luck. charlie

Posted by
213 posts

Each person has his/her own definition of scary. Is it the heights and hanging above a void that make a ride scary for you? Or is it the thought of riding a cable car dangling on a slender cable that is scary? Or is it the fear lightening may strike the cable car? Lots of possibilities. The cable cars are very safe, so you need not be concerned about them. The Swiss are very persnickity about safety. You could do as Charlie did and stare at the floor of the cable car which may be the only way someone with fear of heights can manage such a ride. But then you'd miss the awesome views on the way up and down. If, for fear of heights, something is going to be scary to you, it will most likely be the ride between Schilthorn and Birg as well as the drop over the edge of the cliff from Gimmelwald down to Stechelberg. Nothing like some amusement park rides, though. Ooooh, but that drop over the Gimmelwald cliff can take your breath away. Talk about wow!

Posted by
32213 posts

greg,

To reach the top of the Schilthorn you'll need to take the Train to Lauterbrunnen and then take the (bright yellow) Post Bus to the Cable Car station at Stechelberg.

The ride to the top of the Schilthorn (which is at 10K ft.) actually involves four different Cable Cars. The first leg goes from Stechelberg to Gimmelwald, then Gimmelwald to Murren, Murren to Birg and finally Birg to the Shilthorn and Piz Gloria (the world's first revolving restaurant, I believe).

I didn't find the ride to be "scary", as I know the Swiss have some of the best safety standards in the world. That sort of thing doesn't usually bother me, and I even tried Paragliding when in that area. If you stay in the centre of the car (surrounded by other passengers), you probably won't be able to see much so that might help?

This is a view from the Cable Car looking towards Gimmelwald (sorry, it's not too clear):

Happy travels!

Posted by
355 posts

The first time we rode in a cable car/lift in Switzerland it was kind of scary - especially when the car goes over little "bumps". These are when the car goes over the towers that hold the cables. After the first time, it wasn't scary. We even rode on 4-6 person gondola's. The views are spectacular so it is well worth the anxiety.