Please sign in to post.

Travel advice needed for Spain, Switzerland, & Austria, leaving 5/22!

My husband and I are leaving in a week and ½ for Spain, Switzerland, and Austria. We have never been to these places before. We will be in Europe a total of 21 nights. The cities we plan to visit are as follows: Spain: Barcelona & San Sebastian, Switzerland: Interlaken/Murren, Zurich, and possibly Bern or Geneva, Austria: Graz, Salzburg, Vienna. We have not made any reservations at hotels yet and have a bit of planning to do regarding logistics between countries and cities (this is my job for the next 2 days straight) and am hoping you can offer some advice on a few things: 1) Our main interests are food, wine, scenery, culture, architecture, and hiking (we're very active people). We are not into art. We are torn on how many nights to spend in each city. We have been told by another fellow "foodie" to definitely not skimp on Spain but the scenery with the Alps and my family in Austria are making it hard to divide the time. Our preliminary thoughts: Barcelona: 4 nights (could be convinced to do 5) San Sebastian: 4 nights Interlaken (or Murren): 2 nights Zurich: 2 nights Bern: 2 nights Graz: 2-3 nights (where my family is) Salzburg: 2 nights Vienna: 2 nights Any opinions/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much for your help!

Posted by
687 posts

I'm not a big fan of Barcelona, aside from the Gaudi architecture, so I wouldn't add a night there. Why Zurich and Bern? If you want mountains you should be in Interlaken or Murren, better Murren. Are you flying into Barcelona and out of Vienna? Doesn't it make more sense to do Salzburg before Graz (a town I really enjoyed)? I hope you already have hotel reservations.

Posted by
32249 posts

Kim, In reading over your proposed Itinerary, one thing that wasn't clear was whether you've allowed adequate travel times between each destination? Especially with the two-night stops, you may find that you don't have a lot of time to see much. I'd probably arrange things along these lines: > Leave Barcelona at 4-nights > Don't bother with Interlaken and increase Mürren to at least 3-nights, given the time and effort to get there. > Choose either Zurich or Bern (or perhaps substitute Lucerne) The fact that you haven't booked any accommodations may be a problem at this time of year, as it's the middle of the "spring shoulder season". The "best case" is that you find lodgings easily in every place, in the price range you've planned for. However, the "worst case" is that you have to spend time looking for someplace to sleep when you arrive in each city (I consider that a waste of valuable touring time), and may have to accept places that are more expensive than you planned for, and perhaps located in a "dodgy" part of the city. Some people manage well with the "spontaneous approach" however, I always like to pre-book accommodations so that I don't have to waste a lot of time trudging around unfamiliar cities with a 50 lb. Backpack looking for a place to sleep. As you're departing in the very near future, there's not much opportunity to change the situation. Happy travels!

Posted by
18 posts

To me, this itinerary requires too much travelling about, but that is personal preference. I would also eliminate Bern completely unless there is a specific reason you are going there. I was last in Bern in Oct 2010, and once again I was underwhelmed. I like Zurich, but I only spend one night there on the tail-end of my trips as the rail connections from there work to my benefit. I love Interlaken and Gimmelwald and would add an additional night there. I could easily spend a week there hiking and enjoying the alpine culture and the breath-taking scenery. I would cut Barce to 3 nights (I will be there 31 May - 3 June btw) and maybe reduce the stay in San Sebastian to 2 or maybe three nights. With the time saved, you could add a night or two in Madrid, which also has great wine, food and culture. While I enjoy spontaneous travel, I always make my reservations well in advance. One less thing to worry about and usually get a better rate. Safe Travels, Stephen

Posted by
96 posts

I agree that it appears that you are traveling too much ( much more than I would recommend ). I can't help you with Switzerland, but I whole-heartedly recommend Barcelona - it's a fantastic city. Beautiful architecture, easily walk-able and wonderful markets. I preferred it much more than Madrid ( which I also liked ). As far as Austria goes, I really love the country. Vienna is worth more than 2 nights - tons to see there, it's all extremely easy walking and they have a fabulous outdoor market. Salzburg is a great little town, as well, and you can easily hike around there, as well as bike. Austrian wine is among my favorite. Be sure to try a good St. Laurant while there ( also try a Zweigelt and Blaufrankish is you've never had them - they're both wonderful grapes! ). Since you have no places to stay booked as of yet, I'd recommend trying to find an apartment. However, most apartments require at least a three night stay, which is another reason I'd consolidate my itinerary. Hope this helps. Jan

Posted by
33164 posts

THIS is a duplicate posting. There are more answers in the other copy. If you don't duplicate yourself you will get better answers which can build on themselves.

Posted by
425 posts

Just a thought .... why not San Sebastian first and THEN Barcelona??? It would cut out some "doubling back" travel.
Roger

Posted by
16 posts

Kim, Just a thought. Bern has not been a place I have heard is a don't miss. Have you considered Lucerne? We took a night train from Heidelburg to Vienna, but a day train from Vienna to Lucerne. WOW. I will never see scenery like that the rest of my life. Not an artsy place. Eurorail pass got us passage on the boat that circle Lake Lurerne. (Don't know if that still works) Its a hop on hop off. Great hiking around the lake. Greatest mountain view of my life from the old restaurant up train car above Lucerne.
I'm heading to Barcelona for first time in Sept. If you discover a good direction to hike, let me know. Have fun. john gerard

Posted by
2 posts

You should go to Granada in Spain! I wouldn't pick San Sebastian over Granada. Granada has the Alhambra, a beautiful cathedral, and most of all is just a great city to spend time in. It is very affordable, has great wine, and free tapas the only place in all of Spain with free tapas. It's also easy to plan a day trip to the Meditteranean (Nerja is best!), and a day trip to the mountains (La Alpujarra, which you can see from the city and have great hiking).

Posted by
9110 posts

'only place in all of Spain with free tapas' Free tapas are all over the place.