Please sign in to post.

travel

I would like to catch a train from Nice to the Cinque terra and then onto Lucca and San Gimignano. Is this possible?

Posted by
23562 posts

Yes, of course. Train service is very extensive in Europe. Go to bahn.de to get good schedule information,

Posted by
837 posts

Checking the German rail website, Nice to Monterosso takes about 5 ours with two transfers. Monterosso to Lucca takes a bit under 2 hours, again with 2 transfers. I don't see Lucca to San Gimignano, but more rail savvy posters may come up with the answer. Perhaps a bus works better for this leg. It would appear to be pretty close; likely a couple of hours.

Posted by
8700 posts

You can take the train from Nice to any Cinque Terre town with a minimum of one connection in Ventimiglia. Depending upon your departure time you also may need to make a connection in Genova. Going from the CT to Lucca requires connections in La Spezia and Viareggio. The closest train station to San Gimignano is at Poggibonsi. You can go Lucca-Pisa-Empoli-Poggibonsi or Lucca-Firenze-Poggibonsi. It's a 20-minute bus ride from Poggibonsi to San Gimignano. See the German Rail site for detailed timetables.

Posted by
719 posts

You can take trains to NEAR San Gimignano, but not actually to it. I usually train it to Siena, then hop a bus to SG. Siena is a great town, if you've not yet been there. If your arrival will put you in SG at mid-day during Peak Season, then I'd linger in Siena for a few hours before catching the bus, as SG isn't that great with the hordes.