Please sign in to post.

Transportation

Hello there, Our family of five will be arriving at the Gare du Nord on the Eurostar. As it will be our first trip to Paris we are wondering what would be the best and least hectic way to reach our hotel in the 7th district. Is a taxi the best choice? Also, we've read that our family may be separated into two taxis due to luggage...just how small are the the taxis in Paris? Thanks!

Posted by
11507 posts

They do have van taxis, but they are not as common, most taxis seem to accomadate up to four normally but i have heard that some drivers prefer 3 or less . BUT as I said, if you are willing to wait there are van taxis that can take your whole group. You just exit the station ( there are clear signs for TAXI) get in the taxi line up ( it may look long but it usually moves pretty quick. Do not take a taxi where the driver approaches you , take the taxis from the taxi stand period. There will be a person there who will point to which taxi to take( mulitple pull up at once) just tell him you want a taxi for 5. As i said, you will wait till a taxi that can take five arrives or choose to take two. Some things to know. you will be charged one euro per suitcase ( not your carry ons or purses) on top of the fee on the meter, this is legal and normal. You will be charged a surcharge for each passenger over 3, its only 3 or 4 euros. This is also normal and correct. Taxi is likely the easiest and shouldn't cost more then 17-20 euros( perhaps more with off meter fees) or so unless you hit horrid traffic.

Posted by
2876 posts

There are tons of minivan and station wagon taxis in Paris, especially at the airports and train stations. Just get in the taxi line outside the station and the dispatcher will put you in a taxi that'll accommodate your party.

Posted by
4684 posts

Most taxis in Paris are five-seat cars. If your five people include very small children you may be able to get away with it, but you're more likely to need two cabs, especially if you also have lots of baggage.