Please sign in to post.

Trains in Spain

Does anyone know if it saves money to book train tickets on the internet for the AVE? (The Renfe site says "internet price.") If we need reservations too, can we get those ahead online or have to do it in the city of departure? Where? Only at the train station? We will only ride the train twice so rail passes don't seem to be helpful.

Posted by
4555 posts

In many instances, RENFE shows "Precio Internet" or internet price, and "Precio Estacion" for the purchase price at the station. The difference is minimal, usually less than a Euro, and some times (eg. Madrid-Toledo), there's no difference. You can book them on line if you choose. But if you're going to be in Spain early enough, just head for the train station a couple of days before your AVE trips to book them...the reservation comes with the ticket. AVE trips Madrid-Sevilla will be busy on Fridays and Sundays, but there are about 20 trips a day. I would also book a few days in advance if you're doing a day trip to Toledo to make sure you can maximize your day by getting the first train out of Madrid and one of the last out of Toledo to head back. I would suggest registering for their TIKNET service even if you don't use it. It allows you to see how many spots are still open on the trains you're considering, so if space gets tight, you can book via the Web just before you leave.

Posted by
1 posts

I dont know if it saves money but I do know that the train station in Madrid is very busy and when we bought tickets on the ave train to Toledo we had to wait 1 1/2 hours to buy the tickets, so plan accordingly.