Please sign in to post.

trains

Is it possible to purchase train tickets as we go and do you reccomend it since we don't really know how long my brother and I want to stay in each city. We will be traveling Amsterdam, Paris, and Barcelona for 12 days. Any suggestions

Posted by
12040 posts

Absolutely. The only exception may be if you take the highspeed Thalys train from Amsterdam to Paris during a holiday. Otherwise, you can probably buy your tickets within minutes of the train leaving with no problem... not that I recommend cutting it that close...

Posted by
6898 posts

I believe that you have discount oppotunities at www.thalys.com of up to 50% on fares if you book in advance. You might have similar discount opportunites to Barcelona from Paris if you book early. Let's see if Tim from Minot drops by. He has great info on the Thalys and French train runs.

Posted by
8700 posts

Larry is right. You can get discount fares if you book well in advance. However, since you don't know how long you'll be in each city, that won't work for you. Buying tickets on the go will be no problem for Amsterdam-Paris and for day routes for Paris-Barcelona. Popular night trains can sell out weeks in advance so you might have a problem on Paris-Barcelona night trains.