Please sign in to post.

train travel

we will be traveling in April by train:
1)Interlaken to Lucerne (also will need Swiss Pass)
2)Lucerne to Beaune
3)Beaune to Paris
Our dates and reservations are all set - would it be best to purchase rail tickets ahead of time from Rail Europe or wait until we get there and purchase as we go?
Thanks for any advice,
Annemarie

Posted by
7 posts

I have spent all afternoon on this and I'm still confused.I figured that the Swiss Flexi Pass would be a good idea because we would be taking buses and lifts to Gimmelwald/Murren and hopefully get up to the Jungfraujoch and or Schilthorn.I can't find sites other than Rail Europe to buy the pass and plan the rest of the train travel.I also thought that maybe we would spend less time in lines trying to figure out what train to catch.Please, please any advice thoughts? Thanks to you for responding. Annemarie

Posted by
4132 posts

It would not be best to purchase from Rail Europe because Rail Europe charges a pretty stiff premium for tickets on top of the regular price, and also because it does not sell tickets on all trains.

It might be worth buying tickets in advance from the different national rail web sites, because you might find some fare discounts.

You will have no problem buying tickets at the regular price in Europe, and this will give you the most flexibility.

Sounds like a fun itinerary, have a good time.

Posted by
8700 posts

A Swiss Card might work better for you than a Swiss Flexi Pass. For a chart comparing the features of all types of passes for Switzerland, go here.

You can get discount fares for Beaune-Paris if you book well in advance (up to three months allowed) at www.tgv-europe.com. To keep the site in English and to avoid being bumped to the Rail Europe site which doesn't offer discount fares, choose Great Britain as your country of residence.