Please sign in to post.

train reservations

is there a way to make a reservation on the train online when i have a eurail pass already?

Posted by
19232 posts

You have a eurail pass already?
Well, OK. Now that you have committed, let's make the best of it. Where to get reservations with a Eurail pass is a very complex issue. Where do you need reservations.

Posted by
427 posts

you can make one when you get there, many trains in germany and austria dont require any.

Posted by
40 posts

Go to www.raileurope.com. Enter the cities you wish to travel between and dates, then check the box that asks if you have a eurail pass. The prices they give will be for the cost of the reservation only, to be used in conjunction with the pass, and you can then select the time you want and purchase the reservation online. Check out the Railpass section of this Rick Steves website for lots of info and advice. Have fun!

Posted by
19232 posts

"Go to www.raileurope.com"

Rosemary, I wish it were that simple. Unfortunately RE is just one source of reservations, and it is not usually he best one.

RE only offers online reservations for a small number of train or accommodations; in most instances price will be higher for the same reservations than if purchased directly from Europe. For instance, for railpass reservations, the very popular night train from Munich to Venice is NOT shown by RE.

However, RE will sell full tickets for the same train. A bed in a couchette 6 is $169, non-refundable, plus shipping. The same ticket, from German Rail, is $174 (@ $1.60/Eur), self print, no shipping charge. But for a refundable ticket, RE wants $230 plus shipping, DB $216. For a single bed sleeper, it is RE $366, DB $309.

Posted by
2 posts

thanks everyone for your replys i called the 800 number for reservations and found its really expensive, they told me its cheaper and easier to just get the reservation at the train station as long as its a few days ahead of time so thats what i will do.

Posted by
19232 posts

As long as you are not using night trains that is pretty much true. With night trains you must reserve in advance, since they often sell out. Also, Thalys has limited passholder reservations, so you might get stuck in Brussels waiting for a train with reservations available. One the other hand, I have been on about 200 trains in Germany without a reservation at all, not even made the day before, without a problem.