Please sign in to post.

Train from Munich to Murren

Trying to plan how to get from Munich to Murren. Anyone here have done this before? Possible to do this in one day?

Posted by
16472 posts

Sure. It is a long day, 7 hours 40 minutes at least, with a minimum of 4 changes. If you depart Mürren at 6:06 you can get to Zurich in time for the direct train to Munich (departs Zurich at 9:16 am), and arrive in Munich at 13:46. Otherwise you'll have an additional change or two along the way. But they are easy and smooth. Edit: I misread and have you going the wrong direction. See Ken's post for correct times. The bottom line is, yes you can do it; get an early start and you'll have almost half a day to spend in Mürren.

Posted by
32228 posts

Craig, If you read your post correctly, you're travelling FROM Munich? That's actually an easy and fairly quick trip. I'd use a departure from Munich Hbf at 06:48, arriving Interlaken Ost at 13:57 (time 7H:09M, 1 change at Karlsruhe). While that's about half an hour longer than some of the other trips, it only has ONE change, which makes things easier. When you arrive at Interlaken Ost, you may have to buy tickets for the last part of your journey (be sure to specify Mürren as your final destination, as the ticket will include all modes of transport). Transfer to the small Berner Oberland train for the 20 minute trip to Lauterbrunnen. When you arrive there, walk across the street to the Cable Car station for the trip to Grütschalp, where you'll board the small mountain railway. In about 20 minutes or so, you'll arrive at the station in Mürren. It's at one end of town, but you can easily walk to your hotel. Happy travels!

Posted by
9 posts

Great, thanks for the info Ken. Will purchasing the tickets in advance from the DB Bahn web site be the best, most affordable option? (Date of travel is May 31, so it looks like I have to wait until March 1st to see prices and have the option to purchase.) 7 minute transfer time seems very tight, but I guess they would not list it if it is not appropriate? Have only used the trains in Germany a couple of times, and one was an overnight train so I did not have to transfer trains along my journey.

Posted by
32228 posts

Craig, I'm not sure you'll be able to buy the tickets for the Switzerland portion of your trip from the bahn.de website, as that part of the trip originates outside Germany. You'll probably have to use the Swiss Rail website. Be careful with rail travel in Switzerland. I've seen some reports that Swiss rail are starting to adopt the same tactics as the Italian rail network, and fine passengers who don't have valid tickets. They've been "splitting hairs" on what constitutes a "valid ticket" and lawsuits are now underway. The change time for the trains should be perfectly adequate. Your tickets may even specify the platform numbers, which makes it easy (although I usually double check that when I'm travelling, as platforms can change). Cheers!

Posted by
19118 posts

"I'm not sure you'll be able to buy the tickets for the Switzerland portion of your trip from the bahn.de website," You will be able to buy tickets for some of the Munich-Mürren connectiona, even for some with segments entirely in Switzerland, but not for all such connections. Germany and Switzerland seem to have some kind of agreement allowing each other to sell tickets online for some, but not all, connections with segments outside that country.

Posted by
32228 posts

Lee, Thanks for the clarification on the ticket purchase. I wasn't sure how much of the trip could be purchased on the bahn.de website, since the route from Interlaken Ost to Mürren is not a "standard" rail connection and originates outside of Germany. Cheers!

Posted by
16472 posts

How long will you be in Switzerland, and what will you be doing? It may be cost-effective to buy a pass of some kind. If you buy ahead (before you arrive in Switzerland), coverage will start at the border, and you can buy a ticket on bahn.de that will take this into account.

Posted by
9 posts

We will be in Switzerland for four nights, sleeping in Murren for the full duration. We will then fly home out of Zurich, which would have us back on the train again (to get us from Murren to the Zurich airport). Will look into passes, thanks for the tip.

Posted by
102 posts

The train transfer times in Switzerland are very doable. The tracks are well marked and not far apart. 7 minutes will be fine. The Swiss trains are awesome in efficiency. No wasted time. We stayed in Murren in 2011 and you'll love it. Peaceful at the end of May.