Please sign in to post.

Tours In Salzburg

Checking on Bob's tours he states that Rick recommends his company checking to see if that is true and second has anybody used them. Planning on using them for Hallstat Tour and also Bavarian Mountain Tour on this tour should we do half day or full day?

Posted by
19117 posts

"also Bavarian Mountain Tour on this tour should we do half day or full day?" Just going from Berchtesgadenup to the Eagles' Nest in the morning, having lunch there, then coming down' spending the afternoon at the Dokumentation Center and SS bunkers, and returning to Salzburg, I spent an entire day. If the tour starts in Salzburg and gets you back to Salzburg in 4 hours, I think that alone is not enough time, and then they expect to walk along the lake AND stroll Berchtesgaden. fNo way. Even a full day tour is hardly enough time, let alone the half day version. Better solution, take the RVO Bus RT from Salzburg Hbf to Berchtesgaden, spend one night there, and see everything (Eagle's nest and Königssee cruise). €90/person should cover the bus from Salzurg to Obersalzberg AND a night's accommodations.

Posted by
47 posts

Thank you for the information, yes want to take it all in while we are there.

Posted by
3049 posts

We took the 4-hour tour to the Eagle's Nest because we didn't have enough time to get there via public transit, as we were only in Salzburg for the day. This tour does not allow enough time to tour the Dokumentation Zentrum so if you want to see that, this isn't a good tour for you. However, since we had a person who couldn't walk much with us, being driven was nice, and our tour guide Joergen was wonderful and told us about local legends and history on the drive. After the Eagle's Nest we hopped off at Berchtesgaden for a short visit. It was perfect for our needs. If you want to see more and see it in-depth, do the longer tour, or follow Lee's recommendations (although he's a little biased against tours. It was awfully nice to not have to deal with transportation during the middle of our trip, I must say).

Posted by
32222 posts

Terry, Yes, I've used Bob's Special Tours for the tour to Berchtesgaden which covered the Dokumentation Centre, Bunkers and Salt Mine. The Guide allowed everyone to choose whether they wanted to visit the Bunkers or Salt Mine. I chose the Bunkers and a few others chose the Salt Mine tour. We also had a short time to look around Berchestgaden and get some lunch. I would have liked to see the Eagle's Nest also, but unfortunately it wasn't open yet, due to road conditions (snow) on the mountain road. If your tour is taking place in the near future, that will likely also be the case. The tour took the better part of a day, and I was happy that I didn't have to rush through the sights. I was very pleased with the tour and felt it was good value. The Guide was wonderful and very informative. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. Happy travels!

Posted by
47 posts

Thank you, we will be there first week of October , I hope Eagles Nest will be open. But I look forward to the history that has happen there. Does it show anything of the American troops that went there at the close of WW II.

Posted by
19117 posts

The official website (German language side, click on "Öffnungzeiten") says the the Haus is scheduled to be open until Oct 31, except in the case of unforeseeable circumstances, such as snow, storm, or rockfall. I don't remember (it's been 12 years) much being said about the American soldiers that were there, except that they used their bayonets to chip souvenir pieces off of the marble fireplace that was a gift from Mussolini. The fireplace is in the octagonal room.

Posted by
2429 posts

Lee: I remember in high school, one of my fellow students brought some silverware that his father had 'liberated' from the Eagle's Nest!

Posted by
19117 posts

I don't think that will be mentioned on any tour.

Posted by
818 posts

We don't want to join a tour so we are planning to take the RVO bus from Salzburg to Berchesgaten on April 5th just as a day trip - I will tell you how it goes.

Posted by
47 posts

Yes please let me know how it work's out , I am looking forward to seeing all the sites.

Posted by
19117 posts

Bronwen, You know, of course, that the Eagles' Nest will not be open until May. As for the Watzmann Express, RVO bus 840, on workdays there are 11 runs per day from Salzburg Hbf to Berchtesgaden Hbf, fewer on weekends. The first bus is at 6:40. After that there is a bus about every hour until 18:15 (6:15 PM). If you want to stay later than 18:15, you should take the train, which runs until 22:04. The Watzmann Express leaves the Salzburg Hbf from in front of the station, but not from one of the bus slips directly in front of the stations, but from bus stop 6 on the main street beyond the bus slips, from between the buildings on the right, looking out. Here's a map. An RVO Tagesticket is an all day pass for the RT from Salzburg, and it is valid on all buses in Berchtesgaden, including the bus to the Dokumentation Center in Obersalzberg as well as to Königssee. The price is €9,50/adult, €6 for children (under 15, I think). There is also a Family ticket for 2 adults and all of their children under 15, for €22. If you decide to stay later than 18:15, you should take the train that runs between Salzburg Hbf and Berchtesgaden with a possible change in Freilassing. It's slightly slower but runs until 22:05. Use a Bayern-Ticket for €29 for the day. It also includes all of the buses in Berchtesgaden.

Posted by
818 posts

Thanks Lee - yes, I know Eagle's Nest will be closed. I have the RVO schedule printed. We want to see the documentation center and perhaps the lake. I am planning on getting the family ticket as we are two adults and a 12 year old.

Posted by
243 posts

I believe that we used Bob's Tour for the Sound of Music Tour. (We used the one that Rick recommended). This was my wife's choice and it was enjoyable even to someone who wasn't really into the SOM. Try to stay in Halstatt, it is such a great place to kick back and relax. The views in the morning and evening are wonderful.
The concerts (in the palaces) are wonderful.

Posted by
19117 posts

Eagles Nest tours charges €5/P for the tour if you meet them at the bus parking place just below the Eagles Nest. RVO, as I said, charges €9,50/P for a Tagesticket, which gets you RT from Salzburg Hbf and then RT to Obersalzburg for the trip to the Eagles Nest. So the cost is €14,50 for the whole trip including the tour. (I'm not including €15 for the trip up the mountain by special bus since it is not included in the tour from Salzburg for €90/P.) Or, if you want to stay in Berchtesgaden for dinner you could use the train for €26 for one (21+5) or €39 for two. This way you can see whatever you want at your own pace and save €€ in the process.

Posted by
19117 posts

Eagles Nest Tours also has a longer, more comprehensive "Historical" tour that starts at the Berchtesgaden Hbf and lasts for four hours. It costs €50, but includes all transportation costs from Berchtesgaden Hbf. So it's €59,50 per adult (€50 for the tour and €9,50 for the bus from Salzburg) vs €105 (€90 plus €15 for the mountain bus to the Nest) for the tour from Salzburg.