Please sign in to post.

Tour De France

My husband and I are going to be in Switzerland during the Tour De France stage between Belfort and Porrentruy. We are hoping to take a train from Interlaken to Porrentruy on Sunday to watch part of the stage. Has anyone ever been to this area before? Have you ever been to watch the Tour? Where might be the best place to view the racers? What tips might you have for undertaking this day trip? Is there anything else on that route or in that vicinity that would be worth checking out? Thanks for any advice that you think would come in handy. We've never been to this area before and have never had the opportunity to watch the tour--except on tv. We're pretty excited.

Posted by
893 posts

Never been to that area before, but have been to watch The Tour. A couple hints for watching: Arrive EARLY - roads get closed down and access is difficult. We thought we were plenty early and still had to park far and walk. If you're not sure exactly where the route is, look for all the campers. The route is lined with campers (usually displaying their country's flag). These people travel around and follow the Tour. They're also the smart ones as they have shade, a place to sit, a toilet, etc! The "publicity parade" goes through first and is not to be missed. Bring an empty bag to carry home all your swag (and don't be afraid to stand by the side of the road and dance and wave and draw attention to yourself. You'll get more stuff that way!) To maximize the amount of time you see the racers, stand either on an uphill part or by a turn that would make them slow down. Because any other spot and the peleton will whiz by in about 30 seconds! I imagine if you are at the end of the stage, you will likely have a big crowd, so you may have to work to find a spot where you can actually see a lot. Bring a blanket (or chairs), hats and plenty of water. There may not be shade or toilets. It's definitely something that is worth doing at least once. Enjoy!

Posted by
12172 posts

I haven't done it but have thought about it. I read a blog of someone who watched on a flat leg, their comment was the riders were by them in a hurry. If I were doing it, I'd pick a spot going up a steep slope (near the top would be great). If you're on flat or, worse, going downhill, the riders will zip by. On a climb they spread out and pass a lot slower.

Posted by
16333 posts

The train from Interlaken to Porrentruy takes 2.5 to 3 hours, and the earliest departure with connections is at 7:00 am, getting you to Porrentruy just after 10 am. The town will probably be quite congested, and difficult to move around, so your best option might be to find a good place and watch the finish (or the sprint up to the finish) and then that day's award ceremony.

Posted by
150 posts

You could also stay in Porrentruy at the final arrival line, where you will get to see the excitement of the arrival sprint and the awards ceremonies. Get there early to get a good spot!

Posted by
117 posts

Was at 3 stages of the Tour last year. Pack yourself a picnic lunch. Take the train. As long as you arrive at least 5 hours before the riders you should be fine. If you want to make a day of it, that would be better. Small towns seem to run out of food, hence the picnic. We were always able to find a front row spot as most of the crowds are at the finish lines. It's going be crowded and you'll have to walk a bit, but it is well worth it.