Please sign in to post.

Tour de France 2008

We would like to travel to France next summer to catch a few stages of the Tour de France (preferably a mountain stage or two and the finish in Paris). I realize that this plan is dependant on the route which won't be announced until October but I wondered if anyone has taken a similar trip and can provided some needed advice?

Posted by
267 posts

Simple advice:

1) Travel ahead of the bikes - that is, get to the stop/destination before the Tour does. That way, you get to see some of the town itself :)

2) Stay in Paris for awhile. That city is bigger than your imagination. You can literally never run out of things to do.

I can't really give specific advice regarding your trip, but I can answer general questions about traveling in France, so feel free to ask some.

Posted by
3 posts

I'm planning the same trip and would welcome any advice.

Posted by
91 posts

While the offical route has not been announced, the mountain stages will be first in the Pyranees (sp) Mountains bordering Spain then in the Alps bordering Italy. (It alternates mountain range order each year). The finish will be in Paris. To see a mountain stage, very early arrival on the mountain is a must. For more info on the race, go to www.letour.fr which is the offical site of the tour.

Posted by
251 posts

I was lucky to be near the TdF a few years ago. Get there early 4am we were there, and don't expect to be near the road. You can be pushed back by security, journalists, other tourists, etc.... and then it is over in a flash.

If you must go to Paris.

Posted by
126 posts

I noticed one of the posts stated the Tour de France would be in the Pyrenees Mountains. If you have an interest in spending a night in the Pyrenees and the area around Ordesa National Park is on the race route there are a number of quaint little towns nearby in Spain, such as Torla, Sarvise and Ainsa. We stayed at an absolutely fabulous place, so much more than I ever imagined from their website. It is called Casa de San Martin, and is 3 miles off the road between Ainsa and Torla, near Boltana. Every place you lay your eyes inside and out is a feast. Two guys have refurbished a small old monastary perfectly. Even your car is parked out of view. The view from the location is 360 degrees and not a sign of civilization in sight. A fabulous breakfast buffet with so many delicious homemade pastries, fresh and dried fruits, fresh squeezed orange juice, ham, cinnamon french toast etc. It would definitely be a 5 star place in the US, for about $180 per night for a double. http://www.casadesanmartin.com/

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for the tips. I'll be awaiting the announcement of the race route on 10/25/07 to help solidify the plans. I can only hope that I would have the opportunity to see the riders go up Alpe d'Huez!

Posted by
6 posts

Hi, my husband is turning 40 next July and has been talking about seeing part of the tour for years. He told me tonight that he would do anything to see it on the Alpe-d'Huez, and I sort of nodded my head in agreement saying "sure, OK, I'll make the arrangements." Now that I've looked into this leg, oh geez, what did I promise him? So who has been to the d'Huez tour, how far away can you stay reasonably, or do you stay at the top or the bottom of the mountain, and if you're driving from far away where do you park and is it true there's a bus? Whew! Any advice would be greatly greatly appreciated, esecially within the next few days so I can make these plans for him. Merci!