Please sign in to post.

Too early to book hotel in Paris for May 2011?

We just decided to go to Paris next year, so yesterday I spent a few minutes for the fun of it checking availability of several Paris hotels for May of 2011. They either said "no availability" or "Just 2 rooms left!" Can this be possible? Or is it just too early and they won't take a reservation now?
What do you think?

Posted by
27 posts

Kathy,

We are going to Paris next May as well and were told the same thing. I believe that they are just not publishing the rates for 2011 yet. I was told by two hotels to check back with them in January.

Mike

Posted by
204 posts

That is a lot of 'Bull'. It happens everytime I make a hotel reservation in Europe. Most of the time they are just trying to get you to book a room early. Good luck.

Posted by
9110 posts

Sounds like baloney or else they're just not ready to work with those dates.

I routinely show up in Paris and have no trouble finding a place to stay any time of year.

Posted by
873 posts

My trip is in October, and I started looking up hostels in January/February (just a little eager). Back then, most places I was interested in appeared to have very few to no beds available for October. Now that we are within 4 months of the trip, all of those places have a lot of availability. It is probably similar with hotels.

Posted by
380 posts

Thank you, everyone, for your input. That's what I suspected, but for a few minutes there I was worried!

Posted by
37 posts

Just for a point of reference. We'll be travelling the end of June (yes, about 3 weeks away) and I just finished booking my hotels. It's not how I would have chosen to do it, it just worked out that way. But I did find that many hotels were giving discounts over their rack rates because we're so close. I found I had lots of choices.

Posted by
1556 posts

The issue here is that a lot of hotels do not load their room rates into the booking systems years ahead of time. It is very likely that the hotels haven't decided what their rates are going to be for next year. Like others said, wait a few months and try again. It is much the same when trying to book frequent flyer tickets on the airlines - I doubt you can book anything more than 11 months ahead.

Posted by
15576 posts

When I tried to book for a stay in early June (2009), more than 3 months ahead was nigh impossible in smaller hotels. The problem is that two months ahead, the good ones are all booked up!

Posted by
1010 posts

We just returned from 34 days in London and Paris (May 9-June 10) We were also there a year ago. Both times we have stayed at the Le Littre hotel, 6th arron. This time we stayed in a room on the 8th floor (841.) We had a balcony and we could see the Eiffel Tower. As we were there for 19 nights, we spent a lot of time out on our balcony looking at the view. It was so cool as the Eiffel glitters with thousands of lights starting at 10:00 PM. Then it lights again every hour until about 3:00 AM. It doesn't get dark there until l0:45 PM. This particular hotel is close to the metro and tot the busses. We didn't use the buses, but we constantly used the metro. Keep in mind that the French people smoke constantly and it ruined our trip. Not to mention they are rude and aloof. If you go to the Lourve, go downstairs and see the mall. We DIDN'T go into the Lourve at all, but hung out at the Starbuck's the Apple store, etc. three different afternoons.

Posted by
1035 posts

"Keep in mind that the French people smoke constantly and it ruined our trip. Not to mention they are rude and aloof."

You should have heard what they said about you!

Posted by
8293 posts

I always so look forward to hanging out at Starbuck's when I go to Paris.

Posted by
9110 posts

Let me get this straight:

You spend a gazillion bucks to go somewhere, then go underground so you can't see the place, then hang around in a couple of stores just like you have at home.

But the people are aloof.

Maybe they know what you're up to and just don't want to get too close.

Posted by
273 posts

Europe hotels usuallly load there rates in January for the new year. You can contact them directly and some will quote you now. The rates won't be any better now than they will in January.

Posted by
66 posts

Hi, we're going to Paris next May for 3 nights and I booked my hotel June 14th...some said email back in December but as I already booked my air miles I wanted to get on with the hotels...some that I wanted were already booked. So the 13 nights I've booked in France, Belgium & Denmark are booked for next May.
Jean

Posted by
873 posts

Not sure how Elaine's post relates to when to book a hotel room, but it's hilarious!

Posted by
15576 posts

Elaine's posts all seem to complain about the many smokers who ruin her trips to Europe. I wonder why she returns?

Posted by
1446 posts

I've been finalizing my bookings for France for next May & June. Most online booking systems are not loaded yet. All of my confirmed bookings to date for 2011 have been booked directly with a person - half I have provided an initial deposit with PayPal already. For a few I have what they call a pre-reservation, to be followed with a deposit and final confirmation early in the new year. I found that the ones who refused to deal with me now were aloof and largely uninterested. The ones who were willing to work with me now were much more pleasant and keen. These ones know that we are from afar and need to plan early - they know the distinction between their more "local" clients who show up for a week-end and the long-haul clients who have to juggle air tickets and booked ahead vacation time.