Please sign in to post.

Think many differences in 2011 versus 2013 RS Paris guidebook?

I still have our 2011 guidebook, and we used it last November. We are going again this November. I have no problem buying an d version, but wondered if anyone has had experience with various versions having significant differences. Thanks fellow wanderlust friends! Theresa

Posted by
419 posts

Try going to the Graffiti wall and look at the section of critques/feedback of Rick's Guide books. Significant changes might be posted there.

Posted by
7029 posts

The only changes likely are things like opening hours/days for sights, increase $$ for hotels/restaurants/sights, etc. These are easy to find current on the websites. What to see and do won't have changed much (if at all). He may have added/deleted a restaurant or hotel or two but not that likely. I have always used tour books 2 or 3 years old (or more), just looked up current hours/prices. Never had any major changes.

Posted by
11507 posts

I have a couple of RS books, I never buy new ones.. no point in it for me at all.. the things that change, like restaurant and hotel recommendations and prices of such and admission prices,, I never use those features anyways. The location of a site, the history behind a site, that stuff doesn't change so thats what I read about..
I always double check hours of admission and costs online just before we go, they can change or be seasonal. I don't decide whether or not to see a sight based on cost really, so whether its gone up 1 euro or 5 euros I would still visit a sight I wanted to see.

Posted by
6502 posts

I'm with Pat, not much will have changed since 2011. But a good idea to check websites for stuff you really care about. That said, for our upcoming trip I bought the newest RS books for my Kindle to save weight. Having trouble finding things though, harder than flipping through pages.

Posted by
1825 posts

I, too, get the latest version via Kindle, but I use sections from the older books for the walks & maps. It is easier to follow in print than Kindle, but you will have the Kindle version for the latest phone numbers, hours of operation and cost. If I don't have an older book, I get one from a used book store. I feel less guilty about cutting up an old book into sections than a new one.

Posted by
4132 posts

The 2011 edition is based on research performed in 2010. So compared to the 2013 edition, there will be more out-of-date times, prices, and other information. Things do change. If buying the most recent saves you from a single false start or disappointment, it is worth it.