Please sign in to post.

The Louvre

My husband and I will be in Paris for three days at the end of Oct. We would like to spend one day at the Louvre. Should we purchase tickets before we leave the USA? Thanks.

Posted by
392 posts

We didn't and we went in July. We started early in the morning and there was no real line (we waited to get into the Orsay, though).

Posted by
32212 posts

Linda, After a full day at the Louvre, you'll likely be tired of Museums. It's HUGE! If you're going to be visiting other Museums or sights in Paris, you could consider a Paris Museum Pass, perhaps the two day version. You can easily buy that at the airport or other locations when you arrive there. Bon Voyage!

Posted by
15584 posts

The long lines at the Louvre are at the security checks before entering the building. Once inside, there are multiple ticket windows and ticket machines, so there is usually little or no waiting to buy tickets. You will have the same security line with a museum pass or a prepurchased ticket. The worst line is at the Pyramid entrance. If you use the Carousel entrance, you walk through an underground shopping mall to get to the Louvre entrance. The security line is usually very short there. There is also a kiosk in the mall where you can buy tickets. The Louvre is open on Wednesday and Friday evenings. If that fits your schedule, in the evenings the museum is generally pretty empty. Unless it's changed recently, you can re-enter the Louvre on the same day with your ticket.

Posted by
30 posts

I visited The Louvre last year and bought Louvre entry ticket at FNAC which is multimedia store (music cds/movies/books store). It was quick and simple. There are handful of FNAC stores in Paris and the closest one to The Louvre is about 13 mins walk away. You can take the metro to Les Halles station and the FNAC store is in close proximity

Posted by
139 posts

We really enjoyed the Paris Walks Louvre tour. You walk in with the tour guide so there is no waiting in line and you breeze through security. The tour is great and then you can stay afterwards and see anything else you would like. The Louvre is huge and can be overwhelming without some direction. Guide books and audio tours are nice but there is no substitute for a human guide. I have done it both ways and much preferred the guided tour. I am sure it won't be as crowded when you are there as it is in peak season but if you only have 3 days in Paris why even risk standing in line. At lease get your ticket in advance.

Posted by
3941 posts

We used the carousel entrance and were there mid-Sept - I was amazed at the total lack of a line! Not realizing how many people wait outside in the weather. We just bought our ticket from one of the ticket machines in the mall...and right in we went.

Posted by
11507 posts

I have never pre purchased tickets and I have been a dozen times at least and all in middle of tourist season( june-sept). I also simply use the Carosuel mall entrance . Learned that tip on tripadvisor.com about 10 years ago and haven't had to wait in a long line since. There is always security to deal with , but thats usually 10 minutes maximum .