Please sign in to post.

TGV from Paris to Avignon

I just checked RailEurope's prices for the TGV from Paris to Avignon and noticed that the prices vary wildly depending on what dates you put in. I can't check my real date (Monday, May 4, 2009) so I plugged in several Mondays in the coming months and the prices were vastly different. Does anyone know the approximate price in early May? Should I buy it from here or at the train station in Paris on the day we leave for Avignon? Thanks much.

Posted by
4555 posts

Kathy, altho you won't get an accurate price this early yet, you'll get a far better rate at the French national rail website than you will at raileurope. Pick a Monday within 90 days (the farthest ahead you can book), then go to tgv-europe.com and input your origin and destination (select Great Britain as the place to pick up tickets...that'll keep the website in English) and compare to the same prices for the same dates on RailEurope. RailEurope does not list all the trains available, and it doesn't let you take advantage of discount advance purchase tickets. If you're sure of your itinerary, these can be very inexpensive...although the cheapest are usually non-refundable or changeable.

Posted by
8700 posts

On the SNCF site the standard 2nd class fare varies according to the time of departure (peak or off-peak hours) and is in the €80 to €90 range. Booked up to three months in advance, the cheapest Prem's (discount) fare is €22.

Posted by
392 posts

Thanks so much! Looks like the best thing to do is book ahead since we know what date we'll be taking the train. So much cheaper! Thanks.