Please sign in to post.

Switzerland Itinerary Help

Hi, I am putting the finishing touches on our summer family vacation to Switzerland. We are planning to spend a day doing a day trip to Bern and Murten. For us, with kids 10 and 13, we won't do much shopping and limited museum trips. We plan to visit the Bear park, but were wondering if the Paul Klee museum would be worth venturing to. It looks to be a bus ride away (we have Swiss Pass so both bus and museum are free). What do you think? On this same trip, we are planning to visit Murten and simply walk around and spend time on the ramparts. Anything else a "don't miss" for Murten? Finally, if time, we plan to visit Avenches (7 minute train from Murten). The museum there is the only thing that closes early (5 pm I think). The Roman ruins are open to walk around later than that. Any advice on the museum? Worth it? And please, I realize this is a lot in one day, but we are seasoned travelers and are really just trying to expose the kids to lots of different things. If I had two months to spend a day in each place, then I would, but the reality is, I have one day only, so trying to maximize it. Thanks in advance!

Posted by
1229 posts

Hi Laura. Murten is low key, but nice, especially for the history; in addition to the ramparts, interesting to see /compare the two churches. There's a nice walk along the lake; to the north, there are one or two outdoor restaurants. Believe there's also a large swimming pool. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
75 posts

Thanks Bob, we will add the churches in as well. I think the kids (well, and I have to say I will too!) get a huge kick out of walking the ramparts. I had hoped to sneak in some Germany on this trip and do it in Rothenburg, but I can do it with them here in Switzerland much more easily. Thanks for the help!

Posted by
453 posts

Murten is just a cool town to wander around in, no blockbuster sights but just a beautiful Swiss town. I'd put Avenches last on your list. If you've been anywhere else with Roman ruins, they're comparatively underwhelming. In Bern, rather than the museum, here are some ideas: go up in the cathedral or clocktower (Zytglogge), right on the main drag through the old part of the city. I haven't been up in either in years but they're very interesting. Also, there's a spectacular view of the city just up the street from the Bärengraben. As you're crossing the bridge going to them go up towards the right past them. BTW: keep your ear out in Murten. Murten/Morat is right on what we call the "sprachgrenze" or language line in Switzerland. You're going to hear French one second, Swiss-German the next. You might even hear a heated conversation in a restaurant use words from both in the same sentence. Pretty cool and something you'll only hear here.

Posted by
7209 posts

Don't forget about Ballenberg Open Air Museum. http://www.ballenberg.ch/ It has some interesting displays, restaurants, etc and it's also free with your Swiss Pass.

Posted by
7209 posts

You probably already know this, but just in case...your kids will travel free with you on all Swiss Transport. Be sure to get the free Swiss Family Card.