Please sign in to post.

Switzerland in May

Hello,
I am planning a trip to Europe in May (to France and one other country, first time to anywhere in Europe) and I was wondering if anyone had any feedback for Switzerland in May. I have read a little online at various places, some positive some negative. basically I would want to experience at least some of the alps, do a day hike or two, but also would like to spend some time around the lakes as well. I'm fine with the ski resorts being quiet, actually more than fine with that, but worried about access to the higher elevations. I am just debating if it would be wiser to go to another country this time and head to switzerland in the fall in the next few years (hopefully). I think I would be there for a total of 5 days or so. Any general thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Posted by
12040 posts

It depends on if you're going in early May or late May and it also depends where. I've been to the Berner Oberland (which despite the impression you get from this website, isn't the be-all and do-all of the Alps, or even the Swiss Alps) in late April and early May. Once because I didn't know any better, and once for business purposes. On both occasions for the entirety of the visits, the weather stunk. Overcast skies, foggy, and frequent heavy rain. And this is the time of year that the farmers fertilize the pastures- liquid manure sprayed with a power hose. So, rainy, too overcast to see the peaks, mud and manure run-off... the tourist industry takes a hiatus for good reason. The same is not the case throughout the Alps, though. I've been to Garmisch-Partenkirchen at the same time and apart from some mud from the snow run-off, the conditions were very good. Several posters have experienced better weather late in the month of May.

Posted by
17 posts

Thanks for the reply Tom. I guess I could add a few specifics...Would likely be there in mid-May, from around the 15th to the 20th (approximately). Yes, from reading alot of info from theis website, I am certainly interested in spending a few days in the Berner Oberland region. I could spend the time (if weather is an issue) at lower altitudes in cities liek Lucerne for example, but I would be going to Switzerland to be outdoors and preferably not in big cities. Thanks again, i'll notch one for the negative column.
Steve

Posted by
12040 posts

If really have to see the Berner Oberland, give yourself several days. You just can't count on the weather at that time of year.

Posted by
2 posts

Hi Steve,
My husband and I visited Switzerland in 2005 from May 21 - June 4 and had fabulous weather. Actually, there was a heat wave and some days we hit 90 degrees. Lucerne was showery, Italian Lakes district was sunny; Zermatt was pristine. We hiked part-way down the mountain from one of the Gornergrat stations. In Lauterbrunnen we went to the Schilthorn as well as the Jungfraujoch and it was sunny. As with all vacations, trying to plan for perfect weather is totally impossible. Those two weeks were perfect and wonderful in every way. Go for it!

Posted by
33513 posts

OK, Steve, one for the positive column. We've been several times at that time of the year. The lifts normally close for some time each Spring for planned maintenance. From the website for the Schilthornbahn: Maintenance Schilthorn Cableway: 26th - 29th Apr 2011, 7th Nov – 2nd Dec 2011 Maintenance Allmendhubel funicular: 26th Apr – 3rd Jun 2011, 17th Oct – 2nd Dec 2011 so the ride up to Gimmelwald and the Schilthorn will be open but, unfortunately, the funicular up to the plateau of Allmendhubel will be closed. What's open on the other side of the valley, and up to Lauterbrunnen, can be divined from this website:
http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/sommer/tourism/travel-information/operating-information/operating-times/ Its much more complicated because they have many places that they go, including to the Jungfraujoch. We have loved walking through the knee high wildflowers and watching the farmers harvesting their first hay of the season. That was in the mid to end of May. It was nice to not be overrun by other tourists. We never had particularly bad weather, a few thunderstorms at night were pretty cool. Just need to keep a few wet weather alternatives in mind. We really enjoy lake boats in Switzerland, on the Thunersee, Brienzersee and Vierwaldstaettersee. At Interlaken we prefer the Brienzersee and love to walk up to the top of the waterfall at Giesbachfalle. If you are like us, you'll like it... If like others, you won't.

Posted by
41 posts

Steve, i have been to Switzerland 9 separate years. There is SO much to see and do, 5 days just would not do it justice. I assume you meant you are going to France and then will allow 5 days for the "Alps"; not that the entire trip is only 5 days ? If the former, i'd suggest spending the 5 days in the French Alps ! ! First you'll save time since you are already in France. Second, go to Chamonix, Grenoble or the Maritime alps just north of the Riviera. These areas will certainly give you a "taste" of alpine areas. Leave Switzerland for another trip when you can spend more time there.

Posted by
41 posts

Steve, i have been to Switzerland 9 separate years. There is SO much to see and do, 5 days just would not do it justice. I assume you meant you are going to France and then will allow 5 days for the "Alps"; not that the entire trip is only 5 days ? If the former, i'd suggest spending the 5 days in the French Alps ! ! First you'll save time since you are already in France. Second, go to Chamonix, Grenoble or the Maritime alps just north of the Riviera. These areas will certainly give you a "taste" of alpine areas. Leave Switzerland for another trip when you can spend more time there.

Posted by
17 posts

Thanks so much for everyone's input. I'm pretty sure we're just gonna give it a shot, although I think we will be able to push the trip to end of May beginning of June, which should help. Looks like most of the lifts will be open by then, and we'll just hope for the best weather wise, though I doubt some rain will damper the trip. Mud is just mud. Joe - thanks for the response, the trip is 12 days, 5 or 6 in switzerland, and 5-6 in paris and surrounding areas. I would love to go when I had more time to dedicate to one country, but unfortunately that won't be a possibility until I retire or win the lottery...both are long shots for now. So if anyone has any favorite areas of switzerland or off beat things that may be of interest to outdoorsy types who want to experience as authentic a trip as possible (without speaking the language or knowing much of any cultural history ) please let us know. Thanks again!
Steve

Posted by
813 posts

Around Lake Bodensee (not far from Zurich) is an awesome castle Meersburg. Built in the 7thC, it is a real castle that has been lived in and used, not just build for display like Neuschwanstein. It's easy to get to. Just a short ferry ride across the lake is Mainau Island, a beautiful island with gardens.