Please sign in to post.

Switzerland in May

Hello all My friend and I plan to travel to Switzerland in May (May 13 - 17). In addition to seeing Bern and Lucerne, we'd like to spend some time hiking in Rick's recommended Gimmelwald. I'm afraid this time is too off season and may be a desolate muddy messy. Any suggestions? Should we pick another spot? Cheers

Posted by
12040 posts

The timeframe you listed isn't as bad as April, but conditions will likely still not be too great. Many of the hospitality businesses in the mountains may not have reopened yet. PS- Gimmelwald is in a beautiful location, but the village itself is nothing special- unless you buy into Mr. Steves' strange logic that it's somehow not touristy, despite all the tourists that visit... Given the choice, I would much rather stay in Grindelwald, Wengen or Mürren.

Posted by
5 posts

Hi - My family will also be in this area at that time of year...and I'm now concerned about whether it's too early in the season as well. Also, what is a fair amount of time to allot yourself to the Berner Oberland region? We're starting our trip to Switzerland from Milan. I had originally given ourselves two days, but am now thinking 3 days should be the bare minimum, considering the long train travel just to get there. But maybe even that's too short. After visiting Berner Oberland, the plan is to wind our way towards Cologne, with stops either in Black Forest or cycling along the Mosel. Our family consists of myself, husband, and two sons ages 11 and 13. Thanks!