Please sign in to post.

Switzerland for Christmas

Thinking of staying at the Neuhaus Golf & Strand hotel in Interlaken, Switzerland over Christmas - but seeing mixed reviews. We'll be with our college-age daughter hoping for some quality family time, good food, CC Skiing, day trips to Wengen, etc. want a cozy, comfortable, clean place to call "home" while there. Hoping to also stroll through some quaint shops, find cozy coffee house/pastry shops as well. Will this be a good place for us?

Posted by
12040 posts

Apparently, it's in Interlaken... that's all I know.

Posted by
12040 posts

Interlaken isn't famous for "quaint" shops (unless you consider Swiss Army knives and St. Bernard plush toys "quaint"), but it isn't exactly the cheesey tourist pit some people on this website make it seem either. There's plenty of bakeries, and probably some coffee shops (can't specifically remember any, though). If you're not doing any Alpine skiing, Interlaken is probably a good choice for Christmas. And if you see an American with a Belgian wife and a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever in tow... say hi to us. We're staying in Grindelwald at the same time.

Posted by
8 posts

Ha! Thanks so much! We'll be sure to wave if we see you! :) Do you know anything about the actual hotel we're staying at?

Posted by
177 posts

Interlaken is not very charming with heavy transit traffic. It is a travel hub in the valley (with a McDonald's and a Hooters...). There are many quaint villages to choose from. Just to throw a few names randomly that I like: Villars-Chesieres, Verbier, Grimentz/Zinal, Champex. Kandersteg, Adelboden, Zweisimmen, Saas-Fee. I have rented chalets in some of the places above which was cost effective. Interlaken is mapped on Google street view so I encourage you to have a look.