Please sign in to post.

Switzerland

Hi - A friend and I are traveling to Europe and our first stop is Geneva, Switzerland. We arrive in Geneva on December 27th, 2012 and we fly out on the 29th. Can anyone please give me few suggestions on a reasonably priced accommodations in Geneva and also Bern as on the 28th we want to take a train to Bern. Also, would you suggest what landmarks or points of interested we should see in Geneva and also Bern? I did some reasearch online myself but want to see what are your suggestions as well. Thanks bunch,
Aleksandra

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks that helps! We are getting in Geneva at 9AM on the 27th and flying out on the 29th at 8:40PM. We sure will be jet-lagged but we wanna see as much as we can squeeze in with some energy drinks and coffee in between :)!

Posted by
32206 posts

Aleksandra, That's an incredibly short time to visit two cities in Switzerland. You'll likely be jet-lagged on the 27th, so you won't get much touring done. What time does your flight arrive on the 27th and depart on the 29th? For accommodations in Bern, you might have a look at Hotel Continental. I was there in late September and the room was very comfortable and the breakfast was good. For lodgings in Geneva, I'd suggest checking the Switzerland Guidebook or Trip Advisor. It's likely going to be somewhat "quiet" in both cities at that time of year, so some Museums and other attractions may be operating on reduced hours. The Guidebook has information on sightseeing. You should be able to find a copy of the Guidebook in your local Library. Under the circumstances, I'd probably head for Bern straight away and leave Geneva for another trip. IMO, Bern offers a few more sightseeing options. Happy travels!

Posted by
177 posts

I would not stay in Geneva especially in December. Geneva is located between the Saleve and the Jura and the fog fills the area often during the late fall or winter. Quite often, it is much more sunny toward Lausanne. I personally would go to Vevey or Montreux directly from Geneva. I have done it multiple times after a transatlantic flight and it is extremely easy because the train station is in the airport.
But certainly if you are interested in the reformation or historical landmarks, Geneva is interesting. It is never a top spot in any of the guidebooks.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks Mark! I would definitely take it into consideration as i am not too familiar with the region and the weather conditions.

Posted by
177 posts

Aleksandra, If you have any flexibility and depending on the weather of course, a trip to the Jungfrau or to Zermatt could be much more memorable.
Bern is a beautiful medieval city but I would pick the Jungfrau over it any day if it is sunny.

Posted by
32206 posts

Aleksandra, "a trip to the Jungfrau or to Zermatt could be much more memorable." With only one day for sightseeing, I wouldn't recommend a trip to the Jungfrau. Not only is it very expensive, at that time of year it could be completely shrouded in fog so you may not actually be able to see much. Staying in larger cities (ie: Bern) will offer more "cold weather" activities in terms of Museums or whatever. Cheers!

Posted by
813 posts

We like the hotel Rotary Geneva (MCollection), it is a good choice, well located a few blocks from the train station and the old town. Also reasonably priced about $400 a night for two people on booking.com for your dates. There's so much to see and do in Geneva (Red Cross/UN/Old town/lake cruise) you should skip Bern.

Posted by
11 posts

It was not until my fourth or fifth trip to Sw. that I chose to go to Bern. In summer and visited the bear pits and to see the famous large clock and the undercover long street of shops. My later trip was especially to see the Paul Klee museum. My favorite places are over near Interlaken, Wengen, Gimmlwald,where you can go up the mt. if it is good weather and see spectacular views of the alps. Check their rail system site and you will determine the time involved in travel from Geneva, I have never been down there as it seems very far from every place of interest.

Posted by
262 posts

I second Bern, for me the most beautiful place in Switzerland for sure. Happy Travels!!

Posted by
177 posts

Ken,
I did not mean to go up to the Jungfraujoch. But I have taken day trips to Murren and that was fantastic in clear, crisp, and sunny winter weather.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions! I really appreciate it! Aleksandra

Posted by
7209 posts

I would get out of Geneva as quickly as possible. Yes, go to Bern or Gruyeres. Geneva is just so astronomically priced it's unbelievable.

Posted by
32206 posts

@Tim, "Geneva is just so astronomically priced it's unbelievable." I was in Switzerland in September, and found that most places there were "astronomically priced".

Posted by
172 posts

I would also say stay in Bern. Just an aside, the Red Cross Museum is closed for renos, one of the top sites in Geneva.