Please sign in to post.

Switzerland and Italy in May

We are planning a trip to Switzerland and Italy in May. I'm thinking of starting in Switzerland and then going to Italy for 10 days. We are either going in beginning to mid May or mid may to end of may.
1. Is there a big difference in 2 weeks time frame for weather in switzerland?

1. I've been to Switzerland once before and went to Geneva, Montreux and close by towns. I loved it there. A friend reccomended Interlaken. It looks like it would be different from where i was before. Any suggestions? Is it possible if I stay in Interlaken to get to Montreux in a reasonable time on train for a day trip?

2. For Italy I'm thinking Venice, Florence, CT and if possible Sienna. We would fly home from Rome so we need to take a train there the night before we leave (We've already been to Rome before). To much in 5-6 days?

Thanks for your help

Posted by
12040 posts

"1. Is there a big difference in 2 weeks time frame for weather in switzerland?"

Weather-wise, probably not. But if you visit the area around Interlaken, the big difference might be whether or not the mountain towns have re-opened from their shoulder-season hibernation, and if the best hiking trails are passable. If you want to maximize your chances of mountain hiking, you may want to visit Italy first. Otherwise, you risk paying a lot of money to visit some ghost towns and hiking trails choked in mud and slush.

Posted by
73 posts
  1. For Switzerland, if you are going to the Alps, I would consider the later date. I have no hard data on that; I just know that the earlier I have gone, the less the weather tended to cooperate. Of course, you have to be ready for anything at anytime as you reach higher elevations!

2. In terms of where to go, I would say it depends on your interests. I don't prefer Interlaken--mostly travel through there because it is convenient. You can get to Montreux from there in a bit over two hours--so that is a possibility for a daytrip. But why not stay in Montreux that night?

3. And yes, I think it is a little too much for five or six days to see all of those places. In my opinion, I would choose two...probably Cinque Terre (if you like hiking and beautiful views) and Florence or Sienna.

You are going to have a great time!