Please sign in to post.

Switzerland

We are taking our 14 year old granddaughter on a trip to Switzerland (her request) Among other things she wants to see a castle. We have been to Chateau de Chillon and definitely want to include a visit there. We have 7 to 10 days either the end of June or the end of July. Other things we want to include are the cave in the glalcier and the ride to the top to see views of Jungfrau, Monch, and Eiger. Last time we were in Switzerland we stayed at a wonderful hotel with amazing views over lake Geneva. How to find this hotel? It was with a tour group and we don't have info for it. We hiked from the hotel to a glass-enclosed elevator on the side of the mountain. Would love to take her there but don't know how to find it and see no reference in Rick Steve's Switzerland (5th edition).

Posted by
20032 posts

Can you narrow it down a little? Was it in Montreaux?

Posted by
3 posts

I remember we took the train, I think to Geneva, where we were supposed to catch a ferry to the hotel. But we were too late for the ferry. Friendly folk at TI arranged a train ride around the lake to the hotel. The hotel was high up the mountain and we had to take a funicular(sp?) up from where the boat landed. Not much else was there. My husband and I arrived a day earlier than the tour group we were with. We had arranged a pre-tour trip to Oberammergau for the Passion Play. Made our way to the hotel on Lake Geneva on our own.

Posted by
177 posts

It must be in Glion. You take the funi from Territet on lake Geneva up to Glion.
It could be the hotel Victoria in Glion.

Posted by
501 posts

Mark, I'm so glad to read your post, not sure if that is the one Jean is looking for, but I'm impressed! If someone came into Montreux area by train and went to Castle Chillon, how would they get to Hotel Victoria?? I've never met a funicular I didn't like!

Posted by
3 posts

I found the hotel. It's the Buergenstock Resort Park Hotel. Thanks for all the comments. Any more suggestions?

Posted by
16190 posts

I thought it might be Bürgenstock but didn't mention it as that is nowhere near Geneva. If you do go to Bürgenstock and the Vierwaldstättersee (Lake Lucerne), you might also want to visit Rigi. You can do a nice trip by boat, cogwheel train, and cablecar. There are several nice hotels at Rigi Kaltbad, as well as the Kulmhotel at the tip, if you want to w\spend the night up on the mountain. None is as fancy as Bürgenstock, but the views are amazing.

Posted by
177 posts

jean, different lake! Enjoy your trip. jim, about half way between the Chillon castle and Montreux you will find the funicular going up to Glion. It is at walking distance from the castle. The other option is to go back to Montreux and take the narrow gauge cogwheel train going to Rocher-de-Naye (Montreux–Glion–Rochers-de-Naye railway) and stop at Glion. You get great panoramic views from Glion over the lake and French alps.