Please sign in to post.

Switzerland

Planning a trip in early May. I've been told to stay in Bernese Oberland. Any recommendations for a place to stay around $130 per night? Is Esther's Guesthouse and Pension Gimmelwald recommended in Gimmelwald?

Posted by
7209 posts

Yes...but Gimmelwald is tiny tiny tiny. Great for a walk through and see the sights. I'd recommend staying in Mürren which sits just above Gimmelwald. It's about a 20 minute easy downhill walk from Mürren and a great gondola ride back up. Mürren is a bit larger with grocery store, hotels, restaurants etc. Look at the Chalet Fontana in Mürren if you want a great cheap place to stay with breakfast included. http://www.ferntree.ch/chalet/fontana_summer.htm http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g188084-d199023-Reviews-Chalet_Fontana-Murren_Jungfrau_Region_Bernese_Oberland_Swiss_Alps.html

Posted by
813 posts

Kandersteg and Adelboden are both really great Berner Oberland towns. Kandersteg especially has a lot of charm, any of the hotels are good.

Posted by
32213 posts

shawna, I didn't see this Thread before replying to your other one in the "To The Boot" section. As I mentioned previously, it would help to have a bit more detail on what you most want to see in that area? Regarding lodgings in Gimmelwald, it's primarily a small farming community which also hosts tourists. There's not much to do there in the evenings, although the crowd at The Mountain Hostel are usually quite "lively". Esther's Guesthouse is very comfortable and as I recall she renovated and expanded it in the fall of 2006. I can't comment on the Pensione Gimmelwald as it's changed hands since I last stayed there. If it's still listed in the Guidebook, I'm sure it will be a reliable choice (you could also check Trip Advisor. One point to make is although the other lodgings provide breakfast, the only restaurant in town is the Pensione (AFAIK). If you don't mind the smaller community, I'd certainly consider staying there. If you'd prefer to go to Mürren for dinner one night, it's very easy. You can either hike (~25 minutes, but uphill - the trail is paved) or take the Cable Car (~3 minutes, about CH$4.60). I'd probably take the Cable Car up and hike down after dinner. Mürren is somewhat larger, so has a better selection of lodgings and also a Co-op Grocery store. If your budget will allow, you might consider taking the trip to the Schilthorn and Piz Gloria for a fine meal in a revolving restaurant. The views are incredible! It was used in the filming of the James Bond movie On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Be sure to try some Rösti when in that area - it's a full meal! Happy travels!