Please sign in to post.

swiss pass

I know there have been numerous discussions about this. One issue not addressed: does use of the 50% discount on lifts above Muerren constitute a day's use or is it treated like the 50% discount on days not counted? Also,can the 50% discount for days not counted for 100% discount be used prior to the first full discount day?

Posted by
334 posts

A regular Swiss Pass is consecutive days, so a day is used no matter what. Also, you'll need to use the pass to get to Murren unless you are staying there. You need to read the official information. Here's some information for the Rail Pass link on this site:

From Rick's railpass site "The Swiss Flexipass also acts as a Half-Fare Travel Card. Between your counted, full-coverage travel days, you can get 50% off any transport (but not museums)" and "50% discounts include Mt. Titlis, Mt. Stanserhorn, Rigi/Vitznau Railways, and Bürgenstock funicular (need not use a counted flexipass day)". There's a chart that shows what is covered with what pass and how the passes work.

Posted by
837 posts

Thank you, Karen. My apologies, I should have titled "Swiss FLEXI Pass". The flexi pass does not count calender days, but days of use. On the flexi pass, between days of use (where the pass is used as 100% payment) a 50% discount is given and no day is counted. My question is whether use of the 50% discount on private transport systems - such as the trams above Muerren - count as a day. In reading Rick's writings and an explanation on RailEurope, it appears that use on private systems does not count as a day on the pass. However, all comments I have found are less than definitive and leave room for question.

Posted by
17228 posts

Yes, you can use the 50% option for lifts above Mürren without counting it as a "travel day".

No, you cannot use the 50% feature before the first day of full coverage.

Hope that makes sense!

Posted by
837 posts

Lola, many thanks for the first clear, definitive statement on the question which I have posted on several forums.

Posted by
511 posts

If you want a 100% answer, you could always e-mail Swiss Rail. Their contact info is on their webpage. I e-mailed a couple times last year with questions and they responded within a few days.

Posted by
17228 posts

You are most welcome. I could tell from the wording of your question that you had done the research and knew exactly what you were talking about, so I thought the direct answer best.

I hope you enjoy your trip to Switzerland. Wish we were going this year, but it's another "stay in the US" summer for us.