Please sign in to post.

Swiss Pass

I am going to purchase a swiss pass for my upcoming switzerland trip. Choosing between buying a consecutive pass or the flexi pass because we will most probably be travelling on alternate days stopping in between cities.
Does anyone know if i buy a flexi pass, the days when i am not validated to use it, would i still be able to travel free on the buses or go into musuem for free ?

Posted by
48 posts

As I read the site http://www.swisstravelsystem.ch/Tickets.16.0.html?&L=2
You do get a 50% discount on the train/bus/boat and 'most mountain-top trains' network on non-validated days. Note that this only applies between the 1st and last validated days, ie they do not apply before the first or after the last validation.

Museum entry is more ambiguous - the page quoted above can be read as museum entry is only free on validated days, but http://www.museumspass.ch/english/preise.htm says 'The Swiss Pass, Swiss Youth Pass and Swiss Flexi Pass are also valid as Swiss Museum Pass.' which to me indicates that the pass would be valid for entry.

Posted by
16028 posts

I have "assumed" that the FlexPass would cover museums even on the days that are not designated travel days, but I can't actually confirm that. You might e-mail SBB with your question---they have been very responsive in answering my questions in the past. Just click on the "kontakt" at the top of the webpage at www.sbb.ch (or www.rail.ch to go directly to English).

Posted by
769 posts

I just used the Swiss-Card this summer - had a free day at beginning and end of trip, and 50% off anything inbetween. There is a multi-day flexi-version that offers 50% off as well - but I dont think its free transport like a regular swiss-pass, in which case you usually have to use a day. Usually for free items it requires using it that day. (Except for maybe the museums). You may find it cheaper to just buy the day-pass for the trams at your city.

Posted by
27 posts

Hi,

I would get the Swiss pass. When we were there we only changed towns every few days but I don't think there was a day that we didn't ride a train, boat or bus somewhere. It is also more convenient because if you want to ride somewhere you don't have to stand in line and buy a ticked you just jump on and go.

I hope you have a nice trip.