Please sign in to post.

Suggested Itinerary... November, 2010

We are scheduled to fly into London Nov. 2 and out of Paris Nov. 12th. With the threat of terrorism, fuel shortages, strikes, etc. My husband and I are second guessing our flights, etc.? We have no hotels or train passes booked yet, and are not opposed to changing our plans to say, Spain? Feeling unsettled, don't want to overthink things, but don't want to spoil my once every ten year trip! Thoughts, please?

Posted by
33 posts

I believe it would cost $150.00 a ticket to change. Small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, which is why we keep thinking...Do we go to Spain, Italy, etc...
I appreciate your insight.

Posted by
893 posts

Laura - tough call. You're vacation is still so far in the future as far as the strikes are concerned. At this point there is debate on whether everyone will push hard for the strikes through the Toussaint holidays (schools are off Oct. 23 - Nov. 2) or whether they will stop and enjoy the holidays. I think the London idea was a good one if you want to make sure you get to Europe, but don't care where you end up.

Posted by
403 posts

I don't think anyone knows just how bad this might get. This seems rather like my memories of 1968, when a worker-student uprising almost toppled the government in France. DeGaulle survived, largely by buying the workers off with concessions, which is something Sarko cannot do. So I don't know. How much would it cost you to make a change in your airline tickets? Will the airline even let you make a change or will they insist on a new ticket? If it were me, and it isn't, so keep that in mind, I would look into changing my airline ticket to a straight round trip to London. That way, your options are open. If things settle down, you just Eurostar to Paris and back or Easyjet somewhere more distant and back. If things don't improve, you could easily spend the 10 days in Britain. Whatever you choose, best of luck to you!

Posted by
94 posts

We flew home from Brussels the day after the air traffic controllers went on strike and the other demonstration took place (9/29/10). When we arrived at the airport for our 11:00 flight, the board showed a delay until 16:00. We were doubtful that it would leave on time, but it did! Very nice airport and easy to get to via train.