Please sign in to post.

Stuttgart, Germany

My husband and I will be flying into Stuttgart, Germany in May. We will be staying overnight and then make our way to Munich the next day. Rick Steves doesn't mention Stuttgart in the Germany book I have ( 2005 version). Can anyone recommend the best location to stay while there for the day and a hotel in the 130 Euro a night range or less? We are not opposed to hostels if they accept seniors. :) Thanks!
Martha

Posted by
93 posts

I didn't choose it...airfare flying into Stuttgart was GREAT!! Just looking for a place to rest my weary bones. I am not opposed to moving on after we land. Any recommendations?

Posted by
6591 posts

Instead of going into Stuttgart, which will take about 30 minutes, you might want to make a little more progress toward Munich. Ulm is a handsome and smaller place you might enjoy. It has Germany's tallest cathedral - the Ulmer Dom. It would cost you one hour longer on the train, 37 € with a Baden-Württemberg ticket (daypass.) The next day, a Bayern ticket gets you to Munich for 29€. Ticket details: http://www.bahn.com/i/view/GBR/en/prices/germany/laender-ticket.shtml Ulm info and hotels: http://tourismus.ulm.de/tourismus/en/index.php

Posted by
8934 posts

You have your question posted twice, so you might want to delete the other one. I think Stuttgart gets a bad rap for some reason as there seems to be quite a bit of beautiful stuff there to see. Spend a bit of time online to see what is there and not just rush off to someplace else right away. There is a guy on Trip Advisor,named Marco, that offers about a 1000 suggestions for interesting places to see in and around Stuttgart.

Posted by
16028 posts

If you would like to be out of the city, you could head into the nearby Remstal, which is a vineyard regions with villages full of half-timberred buildings. Strümpfelbach is reputed to be the most scenic: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/35893183 You reach it by S-bahn from Stuttgart to Endersbach (a ride of a few minutes) and bus from there. Or just stay in Endersbach or the next town, Beutelsbach. Nice walking through the vineyards and there is a Sculpture path: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-OxXOVjDv4

Posted by
1840 posts

I would get another guide, Rough Guide, perhaps. Stuttgart is nice and the train station is newly remodelled.

Posted by
19052 posts

If you don't mind a little backtracking, I'd recommend a lovely pension in Herrenberg. Herrenberg is south of Stuttgart, a 35 min S-Bahn ride (w/ one 5 min change at Rohr) from the airport. The price is well within your range. Karin speaks English and is a gracious hostess; we stayed there in 2002. Kirchgasse 1 is located on the edge of the Herrenberg town square, which is ringed by Fachwerk buildings (including the pension, see "Pictures", on the English side). In the morning it's a 30-40 min S-Bahn or regional train ride directly to the Stuttgart Hbf. If you can commit to a specific train, Herrenberg to Munich is about 3 hours by S-Bahn and express train. With sufficient advance purchase (up to 92 days), the Savings fare is €49 for both of you. For more flexibility albeit slower, you can use a €40 Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket (Sat or Sun) or a €48 Quer-durchs-Land-Ticket (weekdays). With the SWT or QdLT, you could get off in Ulm and spend as much time as you like, then catch the next regional train to Munich.

Posted by
252 posts

Agree that Herrenberg is a charming town. We stopped there a few years ago after visiting Burg Hohenzollern, another must see in the area.

Posted by
3049 posts

Ooh I get to defend Stuttgart! cracks knuckles Is this your first visit to Germany? If not, I'd agree that just sleeping somewhere convenient and getting to Munich in a hurry makes sense. But if this is your first trip, you could probably have a nice evening staying in the Mitte (center) of town and walking around. We have an old castle with a nice museum, the view of the new palace is lovely, a historic (but small) church, and one of the loveliest biergartens I've ever been to. Lots of wineries and wine bars, vineyards can be seen all over town. We also have the second-largest mineral springs in Europe with several very different baths filled with the water. A visit to one would be a nice way to relax after a flight. If you or your husband are into cars, the Mercedes Museum and the Porsche Museum (Stuttgart is the world headquarters for both) are very, very cool. Stuttgart is the kind of town that will not impress seasoned travelers to Germany/Europe. But I've actually found that first-time travelers really like it quite a bit as their first stop. What I'd recommend specifically depends on how you're getting to Munich as well. If you're driving, it might make sense to drive out a little bit and stay in one of the smaller more charming towns. Tubingen or Esslingen are both lovely, with Tubingen being closer via car to the airport. If you're going to be taking a fast train to Munich the next day, stay somewhere close to the Mitte in Stuttgart. The train from the airport will drop you off at the Hauptbahnhof and you'll want to be near it to leave for Munich in the morning. I don't have any specific recommendations for hotels, sorry. If you do end up overnighting in the Mitte and would like a little tour of that area in the afternoon/early evening, let me know. :)

Posted by
93 posts

Thank you all SO much! Your responses have been very helpful.

Posted by
2376 posts

We stayed last month at the Achat hotel near the Porsche museum www.achat-hotels.com
76 euro for 2 It is a little out of the downtown area, near a S Bahn station (5 minute walk). We took a taxi from the main train station. Are you driving or taking public transportation?

Posted by
109 posts

We stayed in Stuttgart for 2 nights in 2008 to visit with my husband's German aunt and cousin. We loved Stuttgart. The shopping around the main train station is fabulous! My mom ordered "American" dressing for her salad at a restaurant near the station called The Block House. She wishes we could get "American" dressing in the U.S. We stayed at City Hotel. Very nice! http://www.cityhotel-stuttgart.de/index.php?lang=en_&selItem=aufenthalt

Posted by
14482 posts

Martha, If you are considering the HI hostel in Stuttgart, part of DJH, it accepts seniors. I'm one myself. At the HI hostels in Germany there is no longer any age limit.

Posted by
93 posts

We will be taking public transportation and going by train to Munich. Thanks again everyone!

Posted by
299 posts

How about a short train ride to Baden-Baden to "take the baths"? THey're awesomely relaxing! The Hotel am Markt is very reasonable and has a terrific breakfast. I really recommend this.

Posted by
1477 posts

We visited Stuttgart for two days in Advent season 2009 and quite enjoyed it. It is a real city where people live and work plus a enough tourist sights for one night surely. We stayed at the City Hotel at the recommendation of a city resident. Good atmosphere and breakfast. We walked there from the train station but you can also take Ubahn to the Olgaeck stop. http://www.cityhotel-stuttgart.de/index.php?lang=en_&selItem=aufenthalt The price was about 100 € at the time. Regards, Gary

Posted by
3049 posts

Responses to a few points:
-There is no point to going to Baden-Baden for the baths from Stuttgart. Stuttgart has 3 baths in one area and even more in the outskirts, they are all different and interesting. None maybe as luxurious as the famous one in Baden-Baden but it's not worth a special trip just to go to the baths. -I went to Herrenberg yesterday, lovely city and an easy S-bahn ride but I really would not recommend going out of your way when it's your first day with jet lag and you're leaving for Munich in the morning. I don't quite understand all the advice to stay outside of Stuttgart, really. It's a perfectly nice place to spend an evening. -That city hotel is in a good location for seeing a few things around Stuttgart and getting to the train station early the next day. -The Block House is a chain "Argentinian" steakhouse and while it's decent I think most people who are traveling to Germany are going to want to eat more authentic food, particularly since they will only be in Swabia one day and yet Swabia has the best German food (biased!) I would recommend Weinstube Widmer-froehlich or Ochs'n'Willi for hearty traditional food, or if you want something authentic but a little more refined, Amadeus (in a beautiful converted orphanage) is a nice choice. Also since it will be May spending your evening at the biergarten in the Schlossgarten is absolutely lovely and the food is affordable and decent if not fantastic. All those places are easy walking distance from train station, and whatever hotel you choose should be as well.