Please sign in to post.

Strasbourg or Colmar

We plan to visit both for 3 days or so. Is it better to stay in Colmar and visit Strasbourg or vice-versa? Or, perhaps, 2 nights one place and one the other?
This will be in June

Posted by
1827 posts

When I was there, I stayed in Colmar, but I just prefer smaller towns.

Posted by
9110 posts

Colmar is squished up, small, and crowded -- better suited for a long day trip.

Posted by
545 posts

Well there you have it: Two responses, with a vote for each option. The preference is really between smaller town or major city. Both are beautiful, busy, with easily "walkable" tourist areas. Although it is smaller, Colmar is not one of the tiny towns tourists often visit in Alsace and it has plenty of accommodations and restaurants. During the day, expect the tourist sites to be busy in both Colmar and Strasbourg.

When we visited last Spring, my husband and I chose to stay in Colmar because we were using a rental car and believed it would be easier to make day trips out of the smaller town. We used the train to visit Strasbourg, just to avoid the traffic and parking there.

Posted by
32219 posts

Susan,

I was considering the same decision when I planned my trip this year. Mostly based on Rick's advice in the Guidebooks (but also on posts I've seen here on the HelpLine), I chose to stay in Colmar and "day trip" to Strasbourg and other locations in the area.

Happy travels!

Posted by
875 posts

Colmar is small, beautiful, and easy to get around in on foot. If you've got a car you can easily visit some of the other beautiful villages on the wine trail -- Equisheim, Kaysersberg, Riquewihr.
You can easily take the train to visit Strasbourg for the day.