Please sign in to post.

Strasbourg

What is a must see Strasbourg. Going to Strasbourg March 30-April 2.

Posted by
4684 posts

In the city of Strasbourg itself, I would highly recommend the Petit-France district around the canals.

Posted by
340 posts

The Strasbourg Cathedral, also in the Petit-France area, is a fine example of high Gothic architecture. Try to see the astronomical clock inside on the south side, that is to the right of the altar when looking from the front. It is quite an amazing feat of engineering for a time long before computers. It runs at 12:30pm each day. There are many unique culinary treats in this part of France that has been German and French, alternately, over the years, depending on who won what battles. The wines are predominantly sweet and are an excellent accompaniment to the region's pâté de foie gras and sausages.

Posted by
313 posts

Lisa, we're planning our trip, so this is not first-hand experience yet! In addition to the cathedral and Petit France area, we'll probably visit the Alsatian museum -- RS mentions it, but Lonely Planet gives it a little more enthusiastic recommendation.

Posted by
3603 posts

I think I'm remembering correctly, but it's been 15 years. We took a boat excursion on the canals. If the weather is nice, it's a lovely way to get an overview of the city.

Posted by
9110 posts

I'm with Rosalyn on the boat tour. I take evey one I can find and am usually disappointed, but this one ranks right up there with Amsterdam and Cardiff.

Posted by
14540 posts

Lisa,

I agree with the above suggestions...the cathedral is definitely a must-see...to be sure, but the whole city is worth it...a very lovely place, which I saw again last August.

Posted by
5678 posts

I too remember the Petit France section. Have some wine in a wien stube. I also remember visiting the palace where Marie Antoinette stayed on her way to Paris an her marriage. I've looked it up and it was the Palais Rohan. I was quite struck by the thought of this young girl who had no idea what was coming. In my search I found these two websites which may be of interest. http://www.otstrasbourg.fr/rubrique.php?id_rubrique=25&lang=en and http://www.worldtravelguide.net/city/121/key_attractions/Europe/Strasbourg.html

Personally, I was 19 when I was there and spent half the time dodging Algerian men who were convinced that all American girls were in favor of free love. I also ate a lot of student food as I was staying with a friend who was a student at the university on a Purdue University program.

Pam