Please sign in to post.

Strasbourg

We are traveling to Strasbourg, France next week, any recommendations for things to do, a great hotel and restaurants.

Posted by
1219 posts

Hi david. suggest check Rick Steves France book, he has a section on Strasbourg. It's a small city / walkable. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
1878 posts

We were there in 2010 quite a nice and often overlooked stop. The Cathedral is very nice, built from rose colored stone. Walking the town and a river cruise are also recommended. There are a couple of humble musuems, nothing too special but enjoyable enough. There is a cafe near the main square sqare called Cafe Le Montmarte that we found very enjoyable, but I am sure you will disciver your own special spots. It's a very enjoyable and underrated city.

Posted by
32219 posts

david, The Cathedral is magnificent and well worth a visit! As I recall, there's a special tour for the astronomical clock in the Cathedral (can't remember the details). As someone else mentioned, taking a river cruise would be nice also. Try to get one of the open-top Boats (unless it's raining of course). During the cruise, you'll pass by "the other" headquarters of the European Union. I also took one of the "tacky" tourist trains when I was in Strasbourg last year, as I wanted to get an "overview" of the main sights in the city. The "trains" depart from the side of the Cathedral. While in that area, if you have time you might enjoy a trip to Colmar. I really enjoyed wandering around the Unterlinden Museum, the canals and the general ambience of the town.

Posted by
813 posts

Besides the Cathedral, there's great wineries on the outskirts of town. If you have time, I suggest Riquewihr, Eguisheim, etc. Go to: http://www.tourisme-alsace.com/ to see what's happening in the area. The wine fests are all happening now and in the upcoming weeks.