Please sign in to post.

staying in Vienna

We are travelling to Vienna in early July with two teenagers and are looking for a decent, quiet place to stay that is either in town or close to transit. Any suggestion?

Posted by
8142 posts

Check with Tina at K&T Boardinghouse. She's a doll, and a good friend of Rick Steves. Two has 2 very modern properties about 6 blocks from the "Ring" and a block from the subway. See www.kaled.at/ I would suggest her newest property with teenagers, as there's a sex shop the floor below her original property. Otherwise it's great. If you're looking for places to stay in other European cities, Tina has addresses of other B&Bs like herself under the Service page on the website.

Posted by
212 posts

Hotel Konig Von Ungarn. In the medieval section, backing up to the Mozart House and right behind Stephansdom. Amazing charm and breakfasts.

Posted by
837 posts

check the Best Western Kaiserhof. Convenient, very elegant, and sometimes reasonable. Easy to check at bestwestern.com

Posted by
6 posts

Has anyone stayed at Pension Hargita? It's a recommended in the Rick Steve's book, but some of the online reviews say it is quite loud and staff wasn't great.

Posted by
513 posts

I've stayed at the fairly reasonable Hotel Tigre in zone one inside the ring. I've always (three trips) had excellent service and a comfortable room.

Posted by
26 posts

My family of 4 (2 older teens) love to use vrbo.com to rent apartments or houses for where we're staying. Last May we rented a 3 bedroom in Vienna (had grandparents along), and it was wonderful. Vienna has wonderful food markets, and since we all love to cook, having an apartment was perfect. Plus we had a living room, so if someone wasn't up to trekking around that day, they had a comfy place to stay. The apt. we stayed at is owned by the Steiners, and was in a great area.

Posted by
3250 posts

Hi Karen, My husband and I stayed at Pension Hargita for 2 nights in October. The location is great - right by a metro stop and not so far to walk to the major museums. We liked it fine - it's a budget option. The rooms are clean but small. Some reviewers on Trip Advisor complained about street noise but it wasn't a problem for us. Breakfast is extra but there are many coffee shops nearby so we only ate breakfast at the hotel one morning. They have a good place to store luggage in case you have train or flight connection after the check-out. The staff was efficient and no-nonsense but not rude.

Posted by
1878 posts

We stayed at the Pension Hargita in 2006. The location was fairly good, and it was somewhat of a bargain at the time for Vienna. The thing I did not like was that they wanted us to pay cash in advance, which was not communicated when we made our reservation. We refused to pay in advance, and paid partly in cash and partly by credit card upon our departure. (We have very rarely encountered this insistence upon paying in advance over twelve Europe trips). There was some slight issue with the room -- I don't recall what -- and they were not willing to do anything to accommodate us. May have had something to do with our refusal to pay in advance.