Please sign in to post.

Stay in Lusanne/Geneva or Evian-Les-Bains France

We are traveling July 2013 1wk Bavaria then 1 wk Switzerland w/ 2 adults and 2 sons, 20 and 21. Itinerary Swiss 2 nights Luzern...train...3 nights Jungfrau Region...train...Geneva/Lausanne area probably using half-fare card purchased upon arrival. Question: Is it feasable to take ferry from Lausanne across Lake Geneva to Evian-les-Bains in France and Stay at the Hilton FREE using Hilton points and use that as our base for day trips to Geneva and Montreux or would that not make sense logistically

Posted by
20157 posts

The train at Evian is the end of the rail line, so only Geneva is accessible by rail. Even that can be slightly problematic. The rail line goes to Bellegarde, not Geneva. There is one morning commuter train that goes to Chene-Bourg on the east side of Geneva, then transfer to street car into the center of Geneva. Otherwise you have to change trains at Annemasse then take the short line to Chene-Bourg, or bus into town from Annemasse. To get to Montreux, you would need to go by lake steamer and I don't know the deal on that off the top of my head. From Thonon you can take a 50 minute bus ride up the valley to Morzine, lots of summer mountain activities there.

Posted by
177 posts

Yes it will work. Many people live in Evian and work in Lausanne commuting by boat everyday.

Posted by
13 posts

Thank you for that info...However my plan was to access Geneva and Montreux and other sites in Switzerland by using Evian as a base and traveling back and forth to Lausanne by boat w/ 4 adults using the half-fare card or Swiss card ect. I would attempt this only because I can use Hilton points to stay free in Evian, the only Hilton property in that region. So on our trip in to the region from the Jungfrau we would stop in Lausanne and take boat across to Evian (1/2 hr trip), check in, take boat back to Lausanee and use what ever rail pass is best to travel to Geneva, Montreux and beyond, then back to Evian via boat for the evening...We plan on 2 night in the area...If this itinerary sounds like it wastes too much time, then perhaps I would look elsewhere in the region for lodging..Thanks again...Mark