Please sign in to post.

Sports Bar in Paris

A friend will be travelling to Paris shortly and is looking for a sports bar where the major college football games are shown. Does anyone know of such a place?

Posted by
9099 posts

This search engine will give you a breakdown of what will be showing at each sport pub/bar in Paris. Click the "Sport U.S." tab for the college football listings...they do exist. http://www.allomatch.com/en/ And I would like to apologize in advance for the abuse you shall receive for committing the "crime" of watching a sporting event while in Paris;)

Posted by
8293 posts

Michael, it is getting to be just a tiny bit tiresome and supercilious, all this "apologizing in advance" for what you think the rest of us dull normals will say.

Posted by
11507 posts

Canadian Pub on Quai Augustine( in 5th near St Michels) plays sports games on numerous screens.

Posted by
433 posts

Many thanks to all who have responded and may respond to my question. Unfortunately, I am not the one who is going to Paris. Now, I may be in Barcelona the last Saturday in April 2013 when the great sporting event that is the NFL draft will be taking place. But I am going to hold off a few months before asking for sports bars in Barcelona that carry ESPN or the NFL Network.

Posted by
1825 posts

My initial reaction is that it would be a waste to watch sports while in Paris and you'd be better off focusing on what is there rather than looking for the familiar but.... It would be a different experience to hang out with a bunch of expats and locals watching a distinctly American sport. It may actually prove to be a different experience than you could have at home. To each his own.

Posted by
4044 posts

Thanks for the link to AlloMatch, a very useful guide to many kinds of sports and many kinds of pubs. As sports grow increasingly international, the fans are mingling around the globe too. I had big fun in a Singapore brewpub once, watching the broadcast of two Asian cricket teams at an international match somewhere. Actually, I was watching the competing supporters, all of them from elsewhere, since I know even less about cricket than about US collegiate football. The atmosphere was delicious (so was the beer.) Here are two Canadian-operated pubs in Paris that pay attention to sports: The Great Canadian, http://www.tgcparis.com/en/index.html The Moose, also in the 6th, http://www.mooseparis.com/index.php
There is also a string of Oz pubs which, being Australian, have to care about sports http://www.cafe-oz.com/

Posted by
565 posts

I went to the Moose to watch NFL last year, met the owner of a popular pizza restaurant here in Chicago, and made some very good friends I am planning on meeting up with in Germany in the spring. I see nothing, NOTHING, wrong with wanting to chill out for a few hours watching sports while you are in another country. Really, people need to get over themselves. My Parisian friends now swear by the Great Canadian Pub, not too far from the Moose. Do not go to the WOS Bar on Rue de St. Jacques-cramped and will change the channel with no notice.
Tell your friend to make sure PSG is not playing at the same time as his team-if he's not at one of the Canadian bars, the TV(s) will default to the PSG game.

Posted by
1068 posts

My favorite Scottish ex-pat pub in Paris - the Highlander, at 8 rue de Nevers - shows American football. They post their game schedule here: http://www.the-highlander.fr/ They're showing Ohio State vs. MSU tomorrow! Also - this is a great little spot. Adorable. Great, friendly staff. And Caledonia on tap. Highly recommended.

Posted by
9099 posts

The Sports Bar is connected to a racquet ball club. There is a picture of the bar next to the courts on the link I provided; I thought that was obvious. But the fact is they show Bundesliga matches, Champions League, Formula 1 like any other Sports Bar, and of course sports bar is in it's name:) Whether it's open to the public or just member of the club is semantics. Recently I received a PM from a someone who spent time in my home town, and mentioned how they missed all the "various" yarn stores in town. I've spent many years here and wasn't aware of any yarn store let alone multiple merchants. I didn't know because I wasn't a targeted consumer. If you're in the same boat, similar things can be right under your nose...and never know it.

Posted by
3049 posts

I haven't been to any city in Western Europe where I haven't seen Sports bars. Labelled "Sports bars". There are at least a dozen in Stuttgart alone. Ralph, do you walk around with your eyes closed? Seriously, dude. Granted they may not show NFL games. Sports bars here tend to focus on the kind of sports locals watch - soccer, Formula 1, etc. Generally for American sports, themed "pubs" - Irish, Canadian, even Austrailan - are where north american sports fans go to watch the game.

Posted by
12040 posts

Actually, Sarah, I too can't remember seeing or drinking at a single bar or pub over here that self-identifies as a "sports bar", and I can assure that I'm hardly walking around with my eyes closed. I not saying there aren't any, but I would agree with Ralph that the specific appellation of "sports bar" is not very common in Europe... at least outside of large cities, where I spend the majority of my time. Now, I've seen dozens, if not hundreds, of sports and athletic clubs that have bars attached, but that's probably not what we're talking about here.

Posted by
12040 posts

What you have found from a websearch appears to be an example of the second sort of thing I wrote about, which is a bar co-located within a sports club. I have never been there, but I'm guessing it's part of the raquet sports club on the edge of Hemsbach.

Posted by
1825 posts

If it is a matter of seeing his Alma mater play he may wish to invest in a Sling Box and take a tablet or notebook computer along. Then when he is awake in the middle of the night from jet lag he can watch the game live from home.

Posted by
8942 posts

Well, Frankfurt has a chain of places called "Yours Sports Bar", with one being "Yours American Sports Bar", the other one is "Yours Australian Sports Bar". They also have one in Wiesbaden. There is also "Sams' Sports Bar" in Sachsenhausen, "Champions Sports Bar" at the Marriot (popular for the Super Bowl) "Luckys' Sports Bar", "Shooters American Sports Bar" and "Chillers Sports Bar" at the airport. Any city with lots of expats is going to have a sports bar or two, or three.

Posted by
32740 posts

semantics Nope. If you or the OP can't walk in and get what they want it is not semantics it is failure. It would only be useful information, rather than one-upmanship, if the information is something OP can use. Remember that Richard was looking for a Sports Bar in Paris?

Posted by
9565 posts

Michael's initial suggestion to check allo match is the best way I know to find where a broadcast will be seen. Keep in mind that places may not decide for one or more screens until quite close to time (like the day before), so keep checking. Fwiw, I had quite a bit of fun at WOS last year during OU-Texas. And even I, as the sole Oklahoma fan in the place, had to understand when the bartender changed channels. my Sooners were just whuppin' up on those Longhorns so bad!!!! ;p Sling box is a great idea too, if you just have to see the game and don't care about crowd dynamics.

Posted by
9099 posts

Slingbox is a great gadget but unfortunately it's only as good as the internet connection you've got. As video streaming gets more popular, it really taxes the speed of most hotel's WiFi. All you can really do these days is check email, voice Skype, and general web browsing. It's gotten so bad I've given up on using it:(

Posted by
1825 posts

That was my experience with hotel wifi also BUT in the middle of the night (when the games are live)you have a better chance that the system won't be over loaded.

Posted by
3049 posts

The semantics argument isn't really relevant to the OP, and it doesn't matter much, since there are clearly a ton of sports bars showing north american sports easy to find in Paris. As others have stated, the biggest issue might be the time difference. I do think the general rule of thumb for people wanting to watch North American sports in Europe is valid - find an expat bar, and expat bars tend to be Irish Pubs (but obviously Aussie and Canadian-themed ones also tend to show American Football). But I still find the idea that sports bars don't exist in Western Europe to be weird. Europeans like watching sporting events together in a place that serves alcohol, just like they do in the U.S., Central America, etc. I've got a dozen places in my neighborhood that show sporting events to packed houses on big game days - fussball, boxing matches, even tennis. And it's not an American neighborhood - mostly immigrants from Italy, Turkey, and the Balkans. The main issue of watching North American sports in these places would be if they had the right sattelite hookup with SkyTV available, and then begging the proprietor to let you watch your game, but I know people who've managed to do that.

Posted by
12040 posts

"But I still find the idea that sports bars don't exist in Western Europe to be weird. Europeans like watching sporting events together in a place that serves alcohol, just like they do in the U.S., Central America, etc. I've got a dozen places in my neighborhood that show sporting events to packed houses on big game days - fussball, boxing matches, even tennis." The difference is that the bars or pubs tend to be more general purpose over here. If there's a game on, the TV will probably display it, but it could just as easily be showing the news or even set off on non-game nights. Unless the bar is affiliated with a sports club, there may not little to no sports paraphenalia visible (at least, from what I've seen). Now, compare that to a "sports bar" in the US. There will almost always be several large screens showing either a game or ESPN highlights, and half of the bric-a-brac on the walls will have something to do with sports. I'm certain there are many sports bars in Europe. It's just that I would not use the designation of "sports bar" for the overwhelming majority of watering holes over here, especially since the OP was requesting something that more clearly fits the description of the common US version.

Posted by
3049 posts

I often end up having a glass of Schwabisher Bauernmost at a local, Greek-run bar that is packed to the gills with VfB paraphernalia and pictures of players, as well as full of 2nd league stuff, and is insanely packed on game days, idk, maybe we're just more sporty in Swabia than up in Huettenfeld? ;) Or it might be my propensity to just try to visit every bar in the city, but there's quite a few here that I think would fit roughly with an American's view of "sports bar" unconnected to a sporting club. And I've ended up similar joints all over Germany and Eastern France, particularly when I was traveling and seeking out places to watch EuroCup 2012 matches. Ralph, I don't think you even know how old I am, but you can pry "dude" from my cold, dead, Californian hands.