Please sign in to post.

Spain/Portugal Itinerary Critique

This is a trip in mid-March, hopefully flying into Madrid and out of Lisbon. The dates/number of days isn't flexible (except that I can make the trip shorter). I plan on staying in hostels, but I haven't made reservations yet. I plan on mostly traveling by bus, which I haven't done before. I would prefer to take the first busses out every morning, but everything is fairly flexible I guess (in that I'd like to see all these places, but I'm not opposed to stopping somewhere along the way if I like it better and modifying accordingly & it's not an emergency if something falls through). I'd like to keep costs down as much as possible. I speak minimal Spanish and no Portuguese, but I've heard such great reviews of Portugal lately that I'm still pretty set on making it over there. Any suggestions? I have Rick's guidebooks for Spain, but I haven't looked much into Portugal aside from general internet searches.

F: Arrive Madrid midday. Sleep Madrid.
Sa, Su, M: Madrid (day trips to Toledo & Segovia?). Sleep Madrid.
T-W: Granada. Sleep Granada.
Th: mainly transit day to Tarifa, stop somewhere for a few hours to stretch the legs along the way? Sleep Tarifa.
F: Tangier. Sleep Tarifa.
Sa: Gibraltar. Sleep Tarifa.
Su-M: Seville. Sleep Seville.
Tu-W: Lagos. Sleep Lagos.
Th-Sa: Lisbon (w. day trip to Sintra). Sleep Lisbon.

Su: Depart. Afternoon & overnight layover in Paris (will spend in city).
M: Depart Paris.

Posted by
4132 posts

I think this is pretty good (though not especially to my taste). I would seriously think about ways to add a day to Lisbon and/or Granada, though, even at the expense of other destinations.

You might want to hit those guidebooks and reassess your priorities.

Can you get an early flight to your Paris airport on Monday from Lisbon? It would get you a day.

Buses are a good way to go, but don't write off a train if it is the most efficient choice.

Have a great trip!

Posted by
417 posts

That looks pretty good to me. Although, personally, I think I would cut Gibraltar (unless you have some specific reason to go). I would use the extra time to push another day in Lisbon, maybe doing another side trip from there. Evora might be an option, I think the bus is only 1 hour and 45 minutes drive from Lisbon; but really, there are many options from Lisbon that are open to you.

Or if you are inclined add a day in Paris, if you have never been.

Side trips from Madrid should be fine, both are close to the city.

Posted by
88 posts

Thanks Adam & Mike! The Paris part couldn't really be changed--it's just how the airline routed my return home from Lisbon. But I read up more on Gibraltar & Lisbon and am now planning to cut Gibraltar and add that day to Lisbon! Thanks so much.