Please sign in to post.

Spain itinerary

I'm going to Spain for the first time in August but i only have 9 days to spend there and am having problems on deciding where to go. I land in Madrid Aug 5 at 0830 and was thinking of spending 3 nights there, for the last 3 nights of my trip i'm staying in Barcelona (my plane flies out of there on Aug 14). That leaves me with 3 nights in the middle. I've been thinking about either Seville or Grananda. I'm thinking that a slower pace will be nice between the 2 other cities. If anyone has opinions on which city to visit or a different idea please let me know. Or is worthwhile to spend only 2 nights in one town and 1 night in another?

Posted by
11294 posts

All of your ideas are possible, but it will be a little hectic going from Madrid to Andalusia to Barcelona in only 9 days. Also, while Seville and Granada are smaller than Madrid or Barcelona, they're hardly little villages, and may not seem more restful if that's what you're after. Further, while most of Spain will be hot in August, Granada and (particularly) Seville will be blast furnaces. With just 9 days, I'd just extend my time in Madrid and Barcelona, and use the extra time to take daytrips (or overnights) to smaller places nearby. From Madrid, options include Toledo, Avila, Segovia and El Escorial. From Barcelona, options include Montserrat, Sitges, and (my favorite) Girona. Toledo is one to particularly consider for an overnight instead of a day trip. It gets packed during the day with daytrippers, but after 5 PM they clear out, and you can enjoy a peaceful evening.

Posted by
265 posts

Tracy I second Harold. That overnight stay in Toledo is an excellent idea. Toledo is like visiting a small version of Sevilla. You get that Moorish architecture with plenty of sights for an overnight. In Avila and Segovia, you get more of that Spain Romanesque architecture and feel. If you head to Seville the train ride to Barcelona is so long and stops through Madrid. Check the Renfe train web so you can see for yourself. Madrid for three days is plenty and you can visit other towns that are an hour to an hour and half away.

Posted by
265 posts

Tracy I second Harold. That overnight stay in Toledo is an excellent idea. Toledo is like visiting a small version of Sevilla. You get that Moorish architecture with plenty of sights for an overnight. In Avila and Segovia, you get more of that Spain Romanesque architecture and feel. If you head to Seville the train ride to Barcelona is so long and stops through Madrid. Check the Renfe train web so you can see for yourself. Madrid for three days is plenty and you can visit other towns that are an hour to an hour and half away.

Posted by
984 posts

I third the direction above and this appears to be not 9 full and available days. Do not knock yourself out trying to do too much. Plenty of day trips from Madrid and Barcelona, but there is something amiss if you cannot find enough to occupy most of your time.
If you want a taste of somewhere else which is rarely mentioned, Cordoba is a feasible long day trip from Madrid, by train, at a less than two hours each way.

Posted by
629 posts

I fourth Harold's suggestions. He's layed out an enjoyable, doable plan. Madrid will be very hot in August-no need to go any further south. This itinerary will give you a great taste of Spain.

Posted by
12172 posts

August is supposed to be extremely hot, like Arizona desert hot, in Spain. I'd stay in the North, either along the Basque coast or in high elevations with good breezes.

Posted by
9110 posts

Andalusia is going to be sweltering murder in August. Being from Minnesota you're going to wilt and not be able to enjoy anything. Do what Brad said. There's more to Spain than you've pulled out of one or two guidebooks. I'd make an even stronger point; if southern Spain is your main focus for visiting the country, go somewhere else and head for Spain when it's cooler.

Posted by
50 posts

Thanks for all the advise! After reading the feedback and getting reminded of the heat i've decided to stick to Northern Spain. Harold- thanks for the tip about Girona. I've never heard of it so i looked it up, it looks quite amazing, i'm going to add it to my trip.

Posted by
629 posts

As posted above: Sitges is a great place to visit too.