Please sign in to post.

Spain Itinerary

What would be the best mode of travel if we wish to see Barcelona, Madrid, Seville as well as smaller villages? Unfortunately we only have 10 days. Our initial plan was to fly into Barcelona and fly out of Seville.

Posted by
4555 posts

"As well as smaller villages" means a car. Spain now has excellent fast train connections Barcelona-Madrid-Sevilla, but they don't stop at any smaller towns and villages. So renting a car is the best way to explore off the beaten path. One good thing....fuel prices in Spain are about the lowest in western Europe.

Posted by
324 posts

Although Spain's fuel prices are lower than many other countries, don't assume that it is cheap to drive here. Diesel is currently roughly $5.15/gal. In Catalonia (Barcelona and surroundings) toll roads are abusive and difficult to avoid.

Although Norm is right about the utility of a car in exploring "smaller villages", you might also consider just using the bus for short range trips.

Personally, I'd take the AVE (high speed train)from Seville to Madrid, but would use a low cost airline for the Madrid-Barcelona leg. Enjoy the trip.

Posted by
23547 posts

Even with a car that is a lot of miles to cover. Over New Years we did Madrid, Cordoba,Seville,Granada, and home from Malaga using train and bus. And that was very rushed for 10 days. It would be more efficient to focus on Madrid and the area to Seville and save Barcelona for another trip.

Posted by
586 posts

Perfectly workable plan, Sandy! My wife and I spent seven nights in Espana in December...3 in Barcelena, high-speed AVE train to Madrid (2.75 hours), and 4 nights in Madrid, with Toledo and Sevilla as day trips (Toledo is just 30 min from Madrid via AVE train, and Sevilla just 2.5 hours). With 10 days, I'd recommend 4 nights Barcelona, 3 nights Madrid, and 3 nights Sevilla, with all connected via AVE train. Not cheap trains, mind you, but lightning fast, dependable, clean and quite pleasant. As for a smaller village, that's cutting it close. Perhaps a guided day trip out of Sevilla to a nearby village for 1/2 day would make sense, to at least get a taste of it? Good luck!