Please sign in to post.

Spain in March

Hi, I am planning a 2 person trip to Madrid, Seville, Granada, Barcelona.

Arrive in Madrid early am, train to Seville in evening, stay 2 nights, train to Granada 1 night, overnight train to Barcelona 2.5 days there. Am I nuts? I don't want to see much of Madrid. Barcelona is my choice for a longer stay.

Posted by
9110 posts

Yes.

Next question?

All you're going to see is train stations. For five nights, go to Barcelona and be done with it. Or go to Seville and Granada (and that will be tight). Or stay in Madrid and see Segovia, Toledo, and Avila as well.

Posted by
4555 posts

Sure it can be done....the only question is whether youèll be able to recover from jet lag before you leave Barcelona. Make sure you leave yourself lots of time to sleep each night....and, personally, I'd fly Granada-Barcelona to make sure you get a full night in a bed that's not moving. As well, don't plan on much in Madrid the day you arrive....you'll be too tired to do much.

Posted by
5 posts

really don't want to see much of Madrid. Just get out of there. Madrid is the cheapest for me to fly to. I will add on 2days. I have some time since I will fly from Barcelona to Manchester for further vacation. Thanks for the help.

Posted by
4555 posts

"don't want to see much of Madrid. Just get out of there"
That's unfortunate....you're missing one of the great cities of Europe....

Posted by
5 posts

Ok Norm,
Maybe I'll spend sometime in Madrid. I do agree with alot that you say on post here. My family and friends all encouraged me not to go there for long. One of my sibs calls it "Madirt". I haven't listen to family and friends up until now. Why start now? Onto Madrid. Thanks

Posted by
4555 posts

Good for you....you'll love it! Plaza Santa Ana and Chueca for tapas/bars/nightlife....you won't want to leave!

Posted by
205 posts

We found Madrid to be a terrific place- clean, with lots of open spaces, good food and plenty of sights in and nearby. I don't know why your 'sib' would slam it so.

Posted by
37 posts

Hi! My friends and I are planning a trip to Spain July or August. What is the best city and time to go to see the Bull Fights? Not the running of the Bulls. Thank You!

Posted by
5 posts

Lisa, Ok I will go to Madrid. :) We grew up near a big city, New York. So big cities are not on my family/friends list when vacationing. The sib in question still lives near the big apple so it is not their idea of travel to move from one metropolitan international city to another. I will spend a couple days there though if only for the tapas. Thanks

Posted by
205 posts

Joanne, I am originally from the NYC area and was in the city just last week. IMO, New York is quite a dirty city compared to Madrid but it would never stop me from going there every chance I get!
No matter where you go in Spain I'm sure you'll have a great trip, but don't try to go too many places. You'd be surprised how much time just getting from A to B takes.

Posted by
187 posts

I lived in Madrid during my junior year in college and it was rather clean then. I can't imagine it's gone downhill since then. And since I spent nearly a year there it is a very special place to me. It's also the reason we're spending about 5 days of our 16 day trip to Spain in Madrid. There is so much to do and see there, it would be a shame if you didn't see a little of it. but it sounds like you will visit it after all. If you do nothing else, see the Plaza Mayor. It is the heart of the city and I personally love it!

enjoy your trip!!

Posted by
6788 posts

I grew up near NYC and detest the place.

Madrid is a beautiful city, one of the greatest cities in Europe. Don't miss it.

Posted by
359 posts

We took Spanair from Granada to Barcelona. After figuring in the costs and convenience between overnight train and flying, it seemed a much better choice. Our two nights in Granada wasn't enough and we hope to get back.